Print at Sep 15, 2019 8:52:01 PM

Posted by hansmex at Sep 22, 2018 1:33:10 PM
Re: Sweet Home 3D 6.0
Hi Emmanuel,

Ubuntu keeps changing things, whether for better or worse, I am not sure.

SH3D-5.7 is offered in the software store: it installs and runs without any problem. However... if you look at the installation, it is very different from the "old" installation, where you only had to unzip the downloaded file. There are 3 hidden eteks/SH directories, and it is not clear which does what. Using trial and error, I found the directory where I have to place plug-ins and libraries.

These days, Ubuntu uses the SNAP packaging system. The good news is that this package should work for all Ubuntu/Mint/Linux versions that support SNAP.

Is it possible to provide v6.0 as a SNAP package for all Ubuntu users?
Is it also possible to include the XmX trick, so that we can increase memory? I have searched all hidden directories, but cannot find a script that has this entry.

Of course it would be even better, if you could find a way in which Ubuntu users get back the ease of use that we had before. That way we could also try out the beta versions, which now, sadly, is not possible.

For your info: I have tried every possible way to install SH3D, using either the original script, or the special Java-1.5 script, nothing works. I have tried every tutorial I found on the internet: nothing works. I have tried to run the betas with Oracle Java v5, v6, v7 and v8: nothing works.

Thanks you in advance!

Hans
----------------------------------------
Dual boot - AMD FX6300 6-core, 16GB ram
Windows 10 Pro, SH3D 6.2 with 8 GB memory allowance
Ubuntu 18.04, SH3D 6.2 with 2 GB memory allowance