Print at Mar 29, 2020, 9:40:31 AM

Posted by hansmex at Sep 5, 2019, 9:57:09 PM
Re: YafaRay rendering plug-in
@Cecilia @Enko (and all others)

The tests I did, were done to test YafaRay and compare it to the other two options available, not to comment on the quality of the test files.

Seen the fact, that in two options we cannot change parameters, I decided to use Enko's plugin "as is". Second reason for doing so, is that (apart from you and Enko) probably nobody really knows which settings to use to get better-than-standard results. Moreover, probably (almost) nobody knows that in different situations different settings should be used.

99% of all users of SH3D want the program to run out of the box. That includes me. Unless someone writes a clear user manual on best settings for different situations, Enko's plugin is best tested in the way most people use it. At least, that's my point of view.

That said, I'm very interested in this new development. I have been wondering about the continued use of Sunflow, if only because I know that development of Sunflow has stopped long ago, which at some stage may hamper the development of SH3D.
I have been using, and still use, this software for ten years now (almost), and have been trying to make my small contribution in that time.
Enko's plugin is very valuable for everybody who wants to get the best renders. No doubt about it.
The YafaRay plugin may be equally important for the future, although it may take a while before it's as good as Enko's plugin.

Meanwhile, as always, I thank you, Enko, Emmanuel and many others for the continued support and development of this great software,

Hans

PS - If I can help doing more testing, just tell me what and how :-)
----------------------------------------
Dual boot - AMD FX6300 6-core, 16GB ram
Windows 10 Pro, SH3D 6.2 with 8 GB memory allowance
Ubuntu 18.04, SH3D 6.2 with 2 GB memory allowance