Print at Oct 16, 2019 2:58:15 PM
Posted by Puybaret at Sep 8, 2012 11:34:54 PM
Portable version of Sweet Home 3D
I created tonight a 7-zip archive of a portable version of Sweet Home 3D that includes executables and bundled jres for Windows 16 bits/32 bits, Mac OS X, Linux 16 bits/32 bits (see the README.TXT file provided with the archive). Once this 7zip archive is uncompressed in a given folder, this folder can be moved anywhere, and all the additional imported data will work from a computer to an other.
As a special bonus, I included in the archive all the furniture contributed in page 3D models page (sorry if all of them are not translated), and the 22 available translations.

Hope you'll like it. smile

Please test it, and give me your feedback. I'll transfer it to SourceForge.net files if everything works correctly as it seems from my own tests.

Developer comments:
The Portable version of Sweet Home 3D 3.6 (116 MB) was released on 09/12/2012.

----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer

Posted by supseb at Sep 9, 2012 2:03:56 AM
Re: Portable version
Excellent ! that's exactly what I was looking for ! thanks a lot !!
and with the bonus, it's perfect !! I tried and it seems to work well.

do you allow me to put this archive on websites for downloading ?

Posted by Puybaret at Sep 9, 2012 8:52:56 AM
Thanks for your feedback.
do you allow me to put this archive on websites for downloading ?
Please wait a few days until I add it to SourceForge.net. Then you can copy it wherever you want as the GNU General Public License gives you the freedom to do it.

Posted by pial at Sep 9, 2012 12:22:56 PM
Thanks for the good news !
It seems to work like a charm (for basic operations so far. (We'll see later what happens in a real work session.)
Anyway, I've already put the install version into the trash !
I always prefere portable apps because I often backup/restore ghost images of my system.
A portable version of every next update would be very welcome of course.
Thanks again.
----------------------
Pierre

Posted by pial at Sep 9, 2012 1:20:04 PM
I forgot to mention one thing :
Nothing less than 531 mo of free space is necessary to unzip the archive and be able to use SH3D portable.
But some users will be glad to know that you can reduce it to one third, that is 179 mo.
To achieve that, you must delete unused folders and files, specially folders concerning OS others than the one you use,
and a few files of exotic languages for exemple.

I really don't know if this modification is totally authorized.

An alternative would be that you upload different versions of SH3D-portable depending on the OS's user.
Thanks.
----------------------
Pierre

Posted by Puybaret at Sep 9, 2012 5:31:09 PM
Thanks Pierre for your feedback. smile

I really don't know if this modification is totally authorized.
It's not a problem to remove the sub folders of jre and lib/ext folders that don't match the operating systems you need.

An alternative would be that you upload different versions of SH3D-portable depending on the OS's user.
No, I plan to release one archive only, it's easier for me to handle and true portability (across computers and operating systems) is needed by a lot of people. 500 MB isn't that much nowadays, and the compressed file is reduced to 117 MB thanks to 7-zip. smile

Posted by pial at Sep 9, 2012 6:46:39 PM
Yes, total portability sounds like the best choice.

Last but not least, the absolute portability of this version comes from the fact that users don't have to install JRE package anymore.
Tat's the icing on the cake, imo.
Good job.
----------------------
Pierre

Posted by Puybaret at Sep 12, 2012 4:05:07 PM
I'm pleased to announce you that the Portable version of Sweet Home 3D 3.6 (116 MB) was released today, for Sweet Home 3D 5th birthday. Feel free to use it and redistribute it. smile

Posted by Gaytan at Oct 29, 2012 12:01:50 PM
Hi Emmanuel,

Guess it's better / easier to use this 'Portable Version' when wanting to work on projects on different computers?
Kind of 'overlooked' this portable version....

Any portable version 3.7 ready yet? :-)
I'll be more then happy to give it a go; will keep everything on my USB stick then...

Kind regards,

Ed

Posted by Puybaret at Oct 29, 2012 12:26:42 PM
The portable version 3.7 was released at the same time as the other ones, and is listed in the Other downloads section.

Posted by Gaytan at Oct 29, 2012 8:52:46 PM
Ok, thanks, I'll give it a go soonest!

rgrds

Ed

Posted by Gaytan at Oct 31, 2012 7:04:38 PM
Emmanuel, tested today with the portable version. I managed to transfer all my imported libraries, skies, elements etc without having to reimport everything!

Works perfectly although opening and saving projects is slower, which is normal as everything is loaded from and saved to usb 2.0 stick.

I removed the individual installed programs!

Thanks for the nixe program and the portable version!
I'm one happy camper!

Rgrds,

Ed

Posted by supseb at Jan 13, 2013 5:33:11 PM
There's a pb with the 3.7 version and Windows 8 (I don't know about other windows' version).
I use only the portable version of sweethome, but I found an "etek" directory in "Users\USERNAME\AppData\eTeks\". It's created every time I launch SH3D.
Not yet totally portable...

Thanks a lot for your work.

Posted by Puybaret at Jan 13, 2013 6:29:12 PM
What's the problem of having such a directory?
"Portable" just means that you can carry the program around from a computer to an other one (and in Sweet Home 3D you can even run the portable version on different operating systems). The eTeks directory you found is used to store temporary information.

Posted by supseb at Jan 14, 2013 3:36:57 PM
No, "portable" means it won't let anything left.
When I close the soft, this directory should be deleted.

Posted by rockballad at Feb 25, 2013 6:24:48 AM
Hello, how can I install new plugin to this portable version (3.7)? Thanks.

Posted by Puybaret at Feb 25, 2013 8:40:20 AM
As explained in the README.TXT file coming with the portable version, Plugins SH3P files should be placed in the data/plugins sub folder.

Posted by supseb at Mar 23, 2013 10:04:40 PM
Thanks a lot, very useful !
I hope the version4 will arrive soon !

Posted by Puybaret at Mar 23, 2013 10:39:22 PM
I wait a few more days before releasing the version 4.0 of the portable version, to let translators update the additional translations supported by Sweet Home 3D.

Posted by supseb at Apr 11, 2013 9:25:26 PM
Merci pour cette version 4 !
Toutefois il y a encore un dossier eTeks qui se créé sur le disque dur pendant la session de travaiul, mais qui ne disparaît pas une fois le logiciel fermé...Désolé d'insister.

Posted by Puybaret at Apr 11, 2013 11:51:30 PM
Ce dossier ne contient que des fichiers temporaires qu'un bug dans la version de Java pour Windows empêche de supprimer à la fin du programme. Contourner ce bug qu'Oracle n'a pas l'air enclin à corriger est faisable sous Java 7 et beaucoup plus compliqué sous Java 6. Donc il faudra patienter encore quelques temps...

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 3, 2013 10:45:11 PM
In the version 4.1 (119 MB), I found a way to delete the work folder and the temporary files it contains when the program ends normally, under Java 7 as well as in previous Java versions.

supseb, I hope this time you'll agree to qualify the new version as portable, even if the work folder will still be there after a program crash.

Posted by supseb at Jun 5, 2013 1:32:17 AM
Thanks a lot !
But (sorry for that), isn't it possible to move this work folder in the same directory as SweetHome ?

I'll post this new in the Liberkey forum.

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 5, 2013 9:36:27 AM
isn't it possible to move this work folder in the same directory as SweetHome ?
I chose to create by default the work folder in user home folder for performance reasons. Very often, portable versions are run on a USB key with poor performances at writing time.

Nevertheless if you absolutely want to move this work folder in the folder where portable executables are found, you should make the following changes:
- under Windows, add to the portable version installation folder the two files SweetHome3D-windows-x86.l4j.ini and SweetHome3D-windows-x64.l4j.ini containing the following text:
-Dcom.eteks.sweethome3d.tools.temporarySubFolder="%EXEDIR%\work"

- under Mac OS X, edit the file SweetHome3D-macosx.app/Contents/Info.plist and add the following lines:
<key>com.eteks.sweethome3d.tools.temporarySubFolder</key>
<string>$APP_PACKAGE/../work</string>
before the line that contains:
<key>com.eteks.sweethome3d.deploymentInformation</key>

- under Linux, edit the command files SweetHome3D-linux-x86 and SweetHome3D-linux-x64 and add the following text between java and -Xmx option:
-Dcom.eteks.sweethome3d.tools.temporarySubFolder="$PROGRAM_DIR"/work

If Liberkey or anyone else decides to distribute the portable version of Sweet Home 3D after changing this parameter or after removing the Mac OS X and Linux versions, they should add a README....TXT files describing these changes.

Posted by supseb at Jun 8, 2013 5:39:25 PM
Thanks a lot for your response, it helps me a lot !

Posted by susonne at May 22, 2014 11:08:36 AM
I have one more question about adding a plugin to the portable version.
Do I just need to put the executable jar file of the plugin into the data/plugins directory?

Posted by Puybaret at May 22, 2014 11:40:10 AM
Do I just need to put the executable jar file of the plugin into the data/plugins directory?
Yes

Posted by susonne at May 22, 2014 6:29:19 PM
ok. thank you for the reply. didn't worked this morning, but I will try again. :-)

Posted by susonne at May 23, 2014 10:21:42 AM
Hi again,
I created 2 small plug-ins.
If I open them with the executable jar file of SH3D from inside eclipse everything works fine.
But if I put the jar files in the data/plugins folder of the portable version, SH3D freezes and doesn't open up.
If I take the jar files out of the folder again, the portable version opens up again.
What could that be?

Posted by Puybaret at May 28, 2014 6:31:39 PM
What do you mean by "freezes"? Do you see only the splash screen?
I tried again on my side and it worked with no problem.

Posted by Josso61 at Jun 12, 2014 5:12:22 PM
Hi, i've had this program for a month now and love it! i have a question, can i save a 2D drawing as a DWG so i could give it to an architect friend of mine to view on his system?
Thanks

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 12, 2014 7:22:33 PM
Method 1. Goto File->Print to pdf. Save it.Now you can use this pdf file (or open the 2nd page of the pdf file in Adobe Photoshop and save it into .jpg)
Method 2. Plan->Export to SVG format. Save it. Then Open the file with any other svg format supporting (Vector graphics)application like Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator. Then export it into bitmap(.bmp) or JPEG(.jpg) format.
Now send it to your friend. hugs cool

Posted by Josso61 at Jun 13, 2014 2:20:37 PM
ARUN thank you for this, i'm on it now!