Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 15
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15834 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Wolf1066

New Zealand
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Never too old to play with blocks, I guess...

When I haven't been able to find a piece of furniture or an item that matches something I want to include in a scene, I use Sweet Home 3D to build one out of primitives.

The three main ones being the box, cylinder and sphere primitives that come with Sweet Home 3D.

Recently I've increased my stock of primitives in order to create even more complex forms.

This forum has been an excellent source of information and ideas - I've learned how to make surfaces invisible (and, by extension, semi-visible) or glow, I've learned about the "invisible box" and "invisible triangle" that can be imported as a door/window to cut holes in walls.

Here's my current collection of primitives:

Left to right 1-10, bottom to top a-c:

1a: Chrome cylinder - object courtesy of Sweet Home 3D forum
1b: Glass tube - free test tube model found online with top and bottom cut off in Blender using Boolean subtract.
1c: 2 perforated tubes taken from a group of 20 tubes I found free online.

2a: Standard Sweet Home 3D box primitive
2b: Same box primitive exported as .obj and reimported with .mtl file edited with d 0.3 (based on what I learned on Sweet Home 3D forum)
2c: Same exported box primitive with visibility restored and front face set to Illum 0 in the .mtl file (based on what I learned on Sweet Home 3D forum)

3a: Standard Sweet Home 3D cylinder primitive
3b: Same cylinder primitive exported as .obj and reimported with .mtl file edited with d 0.3, same as semitransparent box.
3c: Same exported cylinder primitive reimported at different orientation.

4a: Blender cylinder primitive with centre cut out using another cylinder and Boolean subtract
4b: Same object as 4a imported at different orientation.
4c: Standard Sweet Home 3D sphere primitive

5: Invisible triangle from Sweet Home 3D forum set to visible and imported as a standard object at different orientations.

6: Hexagon prism model found online imported at different orientations.

7: Blender cylinder primitive cut into a quarter using a cube and Boolean subtract, imported at different orientations.

8: Blender cylinder primitive cut in half using a cube and Boolean subtract, imported at different orientations.

9: Equilateral triangle prism found online and imported at different orientations.

10: Blender cone primitive imported at various orientations.

Back wall: invisible box from Sweet Home 3D forum imported as directed, horizontal cylinder from 3c with d 0 in the .mtl and imported as per the invisible box, invisible triangle from Sweet Home 3D forum imported as directed.

It occurs to me I need to add a hemisphere, quarter sphere and 1/8th sphere objects to give myself a few more options and I suspect that as I become more proficient at modelling in Blender I could use that to create complex objects rather than assemble them out of primitives in Sweet Home 3D.

But "playing with blocks" in Sweet Home 3D is a lot of fun and I've been able to make some really interesting things from Sonic Screwdrivers to sets of shelves.

This is something I knocked together in less than an hour:

Made almost entirely out of primitives.

The battery box is made from cylinders and boxes, the battery cover is a simple cylinder and the button is another cylinder.

The vape part itself is mostly cylinders (including a semitransparent cylinder tinted with brown for the liquid), a glass tube for the body and an opaque tube at the top.

The only part that's not technically a primitive, in and of itself, is the airflow ring near the base which I made in Blender by cutting bits out of a cylinder using Boolean difference and a resized cylinder and a box as "cutting tools".

57 years old and I'm still playing with building blocks - they're just a lot more fun these days than the ones I had as a kid laughing
----------------------------------------
Crazy Kiwi bloke

Debian "buster" 10 64bit
Sweet Home 3D 6.3 64bit
i5 Quad-core 3.1GHz
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
[Apr 10, 2020, 11:12:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Never too old to play with blocks, I guess...

Very nice.
Would be even nicer if you shared these primitives as an SH3F file...

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Apr 10, 2020, 1:24:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Wolf1066

New Zealand

Hi Hans

How do I create an SH3F file? Happy to share.

Sadly the half and quarter cylinders don't come out as smooth as an actual cylinder and you can see the segments - however, that won't be as noticeable when they're scaled down.
Crazy Kiwi bloke

Debian "buster" 10 64bit
Sweet Home 3D 6.3 64bit
i5 Quad-core 3.1GHz
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
[Apr 10, 2020, 1:32:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Wolf1066

New Zealand

OK, I found and downloaded the export to SH3F plugin but I clearly don't know what I'm doing because, when I tested it, it exported pretty much everything I've ever imported into Sweet Home 3D, not just the objects I wanted.

So I've put all the models I've made into a .zip archive which should be able to be opened by any computer - Windows opens it by default these days and xarchiver works a treat for Linux, so I guess there should be something for Mac.

The perforated tubes in the picture are not my creation, they came from CGTrader - here -the invisible triangle opening in the wall is here, the invisible box opening is here and the chrome cylinder is here - I owe a lot to this forum and have learned a lot from Hans, Cecilia, Emmanuel and Enko!

The zip file containing the primitives I've made is here - I've added some I've created in the last few hours and I've also included my vape model in case you want the characters in your scenes to have a safer option than smoking tongue

The invisible cylinder should be imported as door/window so that it punches holes in the walls like the invisible triangle and cube.

As my original pic used right angle triangles that were based on the invisible triangle (not my own work), I made a right angle triangle in Blender and included models for that.

Upper and lower Semi and quarter cylinders and RATriangles are primarily for beading or making angle brackets so they are oriented in such a way that adjusting the width will size them appropriately.

Since I'm using an older version of Sweet Home 3D, I can't rotate objects on the X and Y axes so I've made separate models for different orientations - each should import straight into SH3D with the correct orientation using Add Furniture.

Hope you enjoy the models and have as much fun "playing with blocks" as I do.
Crazy Kiwi bloke

Debian "buster" 10 64bit
Sweet Home 3D 6.3 64bit
i5 Quad-core 3.1GHz
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
[Apr 11, 2020, 4:33:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

TY Wolf !

applause
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Apr 11, 2020, 6:06:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Wolf1066

New Zealand

TY Wolf !

applause

Happy to give something back - little as it is - to the community.
Crazy Kiwi bloke

Debian "buster" 10 64bit
Sweet Home 3D 6.3 64bit
i5 Quad-core 3.1GHz
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
[Apr 11, 2020, 9:46:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

Sorry if I disturb You but I don't get'it:
1. Why You prefer to use an older version?
I use the installer version and it's fully functional.
2. Why don't use Furniture Library Editor tool from Plug-in and tools to make sh3f?
I have also some Basic shapes category but in only one convenient position while I could rotate later.
For example the cylinder are horizontal while it keep the horizontal length even if I rotate it in other axes.
So when I export to csv I have the total length of pipe or wires with out other modifications.

P.S. I'm older than You and I also use debian. Is the main motive I boring You.
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Apr 13, 2020, 1:27:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Wolf1066

New Zealand

Hi Dorin
My 2-core 2.16GHz 3MB RAM laptop "didn't like" SH3D 6.1.2 when I installed it, so I had to roll back to v4.3.

However, I've now built a dedicated "Media Machine" with improved specs running Debian 10 and I can now run SH3D 6.1.2 without it freezing up when I try to do basic tasks... like render a simple scene.

I didn't know how to use the Library Editor so I didn't know how to limit the exported library file to just the things I created - as I said in my earlier post.

Debian for the win! Never boring smile
Crazy Kiwi bloke

Debian "buster" 10 64bit
Sweet Home 3D 6.3 64bit
i5 Quad-core 3.1GHz
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
[Apr 26, 2020, 3:32:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

I can now run SH3D 6.1.2

And why not SH3D 6.3???
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Apr 26, 2020, 4:08:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

And why not SH3D 6.3???

Because he use repository version.
I didn't know how to use the Library Editor
You will learn; I will help You!
I didn't know how to limit the exported library file to just the things I created
You can't!
The furniture Library Editor is a separate tool.
While You are already able to make an archive with blocks, this is the next step. We are here to help You also.
BUT
1. Read this post . I've write it especially for guys like You.
2. Try to follow the instruction (not all at the start).
The purpose is to have a fully functional and updated SH3D.
Your Core2Duo is not a problem BUT if You have a dedicated graphic card You will need some more settings.
After this operation success we could go to next step.
(Only If You want cool ).
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Apr 27, 2020, 9:09:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved