Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6628 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
T3NZ3N

天下
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
devilish Lost All Libraries

So I was happily using the SH3D version 5.2, and just on a whim decided to finally upgrade to the full installer, and during install I made sure to check the option to not uninstall previous versions etc.

The install had almost nothing in the library, so I decided to reopen my Portable version, and the New install DELETED ALL MY FURNITURE AND MODELS. Now my portable install has nothing but what it came with as well.

I created quite a number of Homes and a lot of my own furniture. and the (&*%^&* program deleted everything on install?

WTF kind upgrade is that?

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen a program do in my life.

I liked SH3D, but now I really, really, really, don't. I'm unfathomably upset with this program.

I can't find anyway to retrieve all my countless hours of work.

Are they serious with this sht?

I find it utterly ridiculous that the obj files aren't stored as individual files in the program, and that our own furniture and our own work is treated like their own personal intellectual property

I'm so upset right now I think I'm never using this program again.
[Apr 21, 2020, 3:50:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Lost All Libraries

The portable version is... portable, meaning that the folder containing Sweet Home 3D application stores all the data needed for it to work, including the preferences that the user may have changed. Among other things, these preferences includes imported 3D models / texture images, recent files list (not the SH3D files but only their path), and are stored in the data subfolder that you'll have to copy when you upgrade to a new version. This folder is different from the one used for the installer version as explained here.
This important information is also stated in the README.TXT file included in Sweet Home 3D portable version, but you seem to have preferred to rush on the forum to complain rather than reading that file.
I can understand your expectations but nothing obliges you to use slang words.

Anyway, you should also know that the installer version never deletes the imported 3D models / textures and the SH3D files you created. So they must be somewhere on your disk, unless you included them in Sweet Home 3D portable version folder and deleted that folder.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Apr 22, 2020, 1:31:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
T3NZ3N

天下

ya, thanks for the advice, and I think you mean "naughty" words, slang is not the same thing. We could say "Pardon my French" as we just assume the French don't complain about such stuff, as expletives are common in most non-English cultures in the world. I was very careful to use "*&%^*", that was in place of an expletive. Furthermore, I used "wtf", the purpose for using 'wtf' is specifically not to have to type out the words you may find offensive. Also, I typed "sht", that is also not a naughty word, and in fact not even a word, as all English words require vowels.

You seem very angry, and perhaps we may have touched on a sensitive subject for you here. I think maybe you didn't understand what I said. You directly that the files were not in the data folder.

I'll explain this again.

I installed the full version, upon doing so, I had no access to my portable version while it was running. I ended the full version and ran my portable version. Upon running the full version, none of my libraries were present. I opened the Data file and it had a *.prefs & *.xml file, not alternate versions were present.

So, in other words, the install of the full executable actually did very negatively affect my Portable.

That's just a fact. Irrefutable, and cannot be argued.

Perhaps you want to work on a solution, or perhaps you're content with hurling insults.

The problem is very clearly the Full version installer, as they are linked, because if they weren't then we could run a Portable Version at the same time as a Full Version. Something is obviously stopping that from happening.

So, thinking that things would go back to normal after the uninstall, I uninstalled the full installer version. After getting rid of the full installer, I opened the Portable version, and the furniture was back to default, thereby losing all of my work.

You can choose not to believe me, or continue trying to cause problems for users, and choose to ignore me, and choose to keep this program working unnecessarily volatile for reason which escape us all.

or you can maybe try and see why more than one instance isn't allowed, and what might be causing this to happen.

Again, the ONLY way I was able to recover my file was through an Amazon Drive sync I did between Amazon and various other computers to use the program seamlessly across devices.

Anyway, you're obviously very sensitive, and don't care to argue with you further, or try and wait and see if you're going to bother posting anything critical from the mod queue, nor tip-toe around your delicate sensibilities.

So, Any further problems or questions I have about sh3d will be posted on Reddit.

Such as why the texture editor doesn't work, and why only you and Scopia have a special version that writes the proper files in the proper folder structure, with the proper data.
[Apr 23, 2020, 1:52:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

OMG! Let this Ninja boil until he explodes and the problem is solved...
Man, you should calm down and then try again to ask for advice. But the way you did it is absolutely not acceptable and no one should help you now!
We all are angry sometimes, but if you choose such an agressive way to look for help, you will never come to a quick solution.
You can be this agressive, but then you have to walk alone, with no help from anyone. Or, we can friendly walk together and everyone will try to find a quick solution.
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Apr 23, 2020, 8:31:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
T3NZ3N

天下

Ya, I wrote that when i was very upset. If I wasn't so upset I never would have registered for the forum.

After I was able to retrieve my lost data from the cloud, I was much less upset, but the post was in the mod queue and couldn't be edited. So you got the first draft, and that's what you got. Not really my fault.

I like the program, and I think it should have a much larger user base than it does, and perhaps it's because there are people with problems who are too polite to come into a forum and say that the program has caused them some problem and so they stopped using it.

I think criticism is important. It's what drives improvement. If we complain that something is too harsh or critical, we're taking things too personally. People get upset at a problem, not a person.

As I understand it, sh3d is FOSS, and it's on SourceForge, so there really shouldn't be any specific person that a complaint can be directed at. But it does kind of seem like Puybaret may be the only persona really programming it, so I understand wanting to take it personally, but there's no need for that.

Anyway, I'm a user, I'm still using it, I like it a lot, but it certainly doesn't mean there's not room for improvement, or that there aren't actual bugs that may not have been worked out yet.

It does seem to me that the program has undergone some changes from it's initial concept, which to me seems like it was originally developed to perhaps not be completely FOSS, and then was later made completely FOSS, so that the controls in place in the XML and Prefs folder, essentially locking our furniture up, seems out of place, and perhaps outdated.

I still think it should be in a folder with individual OBJ files etc, that cannot be easily lost or overwritten, and more transparent and easy to find and back up, and share, rather than confined to this program only, even if it means taking a few more seconds to start up by reading the contents of an OBJ folder.

But that's my opinion, based on my experience, and not a personal attack.

I really do think we need to be able to run two different instances of the program, and be able to copy and paste between them, especially if the program is a separate Portable install, with all of it's own separate files. There are specific elements of one house we may just want to easily copy and paste to and from other houses.

I think that those two things would also eliminate whatever is happening, and eliminate the risk of losing data or having something overwritten or even mishandling xml or prefs files, etc.
[Apr 23, 2020, 2:55:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

T3NZ3N, please stop seeing conspiracy everywhere.
There's no lockup in Sweet Home 3D which has always been open source (the very first version is even more documented that any contributor could dream of, since Sweet Home 3D is the study case of the French book Les cahiers du programmeur Swing).
Like in any program, the organization of its data is more or less well organized or clear. When I improve Sweet Home 3D, I do my best to keep existing data (SH3D files, preferences organization...) compliant with new versions and you'll surely appreciate this effort. But this implies that you can't break everything like you want.
Anyway, I really don't see the problem about how the data folder is organized, and you're probably the first one to complain about this. Note that I even made this folder portable in the past lo let users move their preferences from a computer to another one, and this implied the creation of the preferences.xml. You may not like XML, but it's certainly not outdated.

There are specific elements of one house we may just want to easily copy and paste to and from other houses.
A SH3D file contains all the data it needs so copying-pasting is not a problem of preferences or imported data.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Apr 23, 2020, 5:36:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
T3NZ3N

天下

Ya, maybe that just comes from many years ago, dealing with Proprietary 3D Home-Building Software problems with getting Furniture I paid for out of the program easily to use with other 3D applications. Maybe it just gave me PTSD Flashbacks to not being able to access my individual Furniture Files for free use wherever I might need to, something that really turned me off to 3D home software way back when.

I just would like to see them all, personally, but I get your point.
[Apr 24, 2020, 7:01:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved