Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 11
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3827 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
JCPvanHooren

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Rendering @ Q3/Q4 creating Black image/video

Somehow my brand new Dell XPS 15 with Intel UHD Graphics 630 seems unable to render either a photo or video at quality level 3 or 4 and only produces black images or video.
Since I don't believe SH3D is able to leverage my GeForce GTX 1650, I don't think that's very relevant.

Would highly appreciate a solution, as I am trying to simulate daylight animation throughout a day for my new house.

In video mode I can see a slight gradient change 'throughout' the day, but other than that, it only produces black images.

Everything works fine at quality levels 1 and 2, but this doesn't help me simulate sunlight.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix?

Thank you!
-Joost
[Jul 16, 2020, 2:00:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Rendering @ Q3/Q4 creating Black image/video

Is it an indoor scene? In that case you have to add light sources, otherwise all will be black.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jul 17, 2020, 4:26:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JCPvanHooren

I'm trying to simulate sunlight in my living room throughout a day. So yes, I'm taking a viewpoint in the room, but looking out through the (large) windows into the garden outside.

If I add light sources, it'd influence lighting in the room, while I'd like to simulate only sunlight.

I have tried adding a light in the middle of the room, just to test, but the rendered photo is still pitch black.

Maybe you can also help me understand the "Add ceiling lights" option. Does this just in- or exclude light sources you may have added?
[Jul 18, 2020, 6:48:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

To simulate sunlight, you can make a video in which you change the time of day. When geo-location is set correctly, this will give you an impression of how the sun moves and penetrates the room(s). However, it will not correctly show the amount of light in the room, as SH3D makes room quite a bit darker than they in reality will be.

The ceiling light is a light source in the middle of the room that SH3D automatically adds to each room. You can switch it off in the photo/video rendering window.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jul 18, 2020, 9:56:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

See also this tip.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jul 18, 2020, 1:54:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JCPvanHooren

I've read both the Sunlight simulation as well as the suggested tip, but I don't think my problem is related to light sources.
Even when I add a light in the middle of the room, the render remains black.
Any thoughts on what may be causing this?
[Jul 19, 2020, 6:55:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

If you are using the virtual visitor, make sure it is not positioned in or behind anything. SH3D has no light inside a room unless you add it.
[Jul 19, 2020, 7:16:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
harbinger

US

I had the same problem after an upgrade of sh3d many months ago. I forget what my fix was, but I believe it had to do with the rendering parameters. Try going from the simplest and work up from there.
[Jul 19, 2020, 11:54:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gbrowne

Sorry to revive this thread, but I am getting the same problem now in 2022. This must have been fixed since, but I can't seem to make it work.

A simple scene renders fine with quality levels one and two, but the higher levels result in a black image. The lower levels render fine so its not a lack of light, or obscurement. Has anyone managed to get this to work since 2020 please ?
[Nov 14, 2022, 10:18:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The lower levels render fine so its not a lack of light
The two lower levels work completely an other way, so it's not a good starting point for comparison.

You should be sure that the point of view is not within a wall or an object, and that you added some lights. Generally, keeping the option Add ceiling lights option checked is a good start during a daylight hour.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 14, 2022, 2:11:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved