Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12250 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Ciap

Poland
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
sad SH3D on Raspberry pi 4 - problems with GUI

I've installed SH3D on Raspberry PI 4 (no problems there) but whenever I open the program it's full of black boxes that change when I move a coursor, add a new component or open a menu. Examples of above problems can be seen on these pictures:

Is this a problem with Rapis' support of 3D graphics? Or do I have to manually enable some 3D related functionality? I'm to new to 3D graphics programs on Raspi so I would appreciate any help :).

Thanks in advance!
[Dec 12, 2020, 7:52:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: SH3D on Raspberry pi 4 - problems with GUI

I didn't know that it was possible to run Sweet Home 3D under Raspberry PI! How did you run it since it's an ARM processor?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 14, 2020, 11:41:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

I'm in the exact same situation. I've installed SH3D from the Software Center in Ubuntu 20.10 and it's running out of the box, but with the limitations that Ciap mentioned.
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Dec 15, 2020, 3:19:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sharkfamily

so called USA

I too, use ARM and have aforementioned effect when working in SH3D. I found using a larger monitor connected to my (NanoPC-T4) SBC but its persistent. I used aptitude installer in my distro, as soon as i think its poke-able with a Bluetooth keyboard I will launch it on the PinePhone.
[Dec 17, 2020, 4:49:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

Changes with LookandFeel and increase the Xmx to 2Gb do not solve the problem.
Pascal

[Dec 17, 2020, 6:45:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ciap

Poland

1. Puybaret, I did it through the terminal by typing "sudo apt install sweethome3d". As far as I know you can also do it in the "Add/Remove software" app. It seems that it's a proper distribution for an ARM processor.

2. UbuntuBirdy, thanks for the help!

3. I think that the problem is Java distribution. I was able to test it on Raspi 3 and it runs perfectly. The only difference I've noticed was Java version. Raspi 3 uses Java 8 while Raspi 4 uses Java 11. As of now I was not able to force Raspi 4 to use Java 8 for SH3D. Even when I had only Java 8 on my Raspi, downloading SH3D forced me to also download and install Java 11. Morover, when I set Java 8 as default, SH3D still used Java 11. Uninstalling Java 11 also uninstalls SH3D.

If that's helpfull, I'd be grateful for any further advice.
[Dec 17, 2020, 7:07:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

My best answer is in this post .
Use the official installer version!
Forget repository!
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Dec 19, 2020, 8:32:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

@dorin - This is what I tried first because I normally always use this version, but it did absolutely not work! It is not made for ARM...
Pascal

[Dec 19, 2020, 10:31:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

@ UbuntuBirdy
Sorry, but when I see apt (or similar) I remember I spend 5 years to understand that's the problem.
Back to work.
Let's see how to analyze this problem.
1. I talk with You because You have more experience.
2. Short preamble:
2.1 The processor usually (always) are commended by OS
2.2 Applications (including Java) work with OS
2.3 CPU<=>OS<=>App
2.4 So if OS can run a Java application could run every this kind of.
2.5 If don't, the OS complain and report what don't like it.
3. Install SH3D as normal user (not root). YES, I knew You've done already
3.1 Install (same mode) AOI which is also a java.
4. First try to run AOI and see if it work (probably yes)
4.1 Try SH3D to run normally (double click or similar)
4.2 Try SH3D with a clean .eteks/shweethome3d folder
5. If 4.1 and 4.2 fail try to run from terminal and see the massages
5.1 Try the same with AOI if don't work from normal start
6. Java want to be a cross platform which mean cross OS not cross processor.
6.1 When I try to do something in java > 9 +j3d-6 I was informed that j3d are not supported anymore.
6.2 What Java 9,10,11 offer in place is far to be acceptable
7. It's interesting to know if an OS could force an application to use what he what not what application need.
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Dec 19, 2020, 4:03:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

@ UbuntuBirdy
Sorry, but when I see apt (or similar) I remember I spend 5 years to understand that's the problem.
I made exactly the same experience!

Thanks for your effort, but the Raspi is only a game for me. I'm running SH3D on my Ryzen machine. Even a SH3D without issues on a Raspberry Pi is not usable because it (the Raspi) is too slow... A very small project may work, but my projects are way to big to deal with on a Raspi.
But if I'm bored during the coming weeks, it could be that this game attracts my mind... But not yet...
Pascal

[Dec 19, 2020, 10:02:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved