Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3173 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Luminous

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Some issues with walls

Hello! First of all, I'd like to give thanks for this application existing at all. It seems to be the only free and open source software of this type and for that I am grateful.

My project is to create an accurate plan of my house. The issue is that my house is old, and many of the walls are of varying sizes. After 10 minutes, I realized that creating walls then the room is a bad idea from measurements, since after adding wall thickness you now have a smaller room unless you add half the thickness of the wall to your measurements (which is not happening with wall thickness like 5(3/8)").

Okay, so the solution is to create the room, then add walls. Second problem, when I would like to decrease the thickness of one side of wall, it does not cover the floor properly and needs to be moved. However, the wall border does not snap to the room border. I tried to get around this by manually adjusting the adjacent walls' length but that also requires some crazy math since the "length" of the wall goes to the point at which it intercepts the connecting wall which I'm fairly certain will require the Pythagorean theorem to determine accurately.

As a separate issue, I can see why snapping to grid doesn't make sense, but it would be so great if things could snap to dimensions.
[Jan 6, 2021, 3:33:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Some issues with walls

Sorry but I fear you'll have to spend more time using Pythagorean theorem if moving walls with the mouse or the keyboard isn't enough precise for you. Remember that you can disable magnetism to move freely wall ends and you can zoom to view more details.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 6, 2021, 4:44:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Luminous

Ah, that was the answer I was afraid of. Perhaps using the arrow keys will work and while it will be close I don't think it will be exact.

Magnetism for wall borders and rooms would be a fantastic addition and I believe would allow for exact placement of walls in my situation
[Jan 6, 2021, 6:26:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

I'm modeling my brick townhouse which was built in 1957. It has plaster walls. Nothing is straight. Even the ceiling height differs from corner to corner. I decided just to use the average dimensions for everything and build it as if blueprint perfect. No one will tell looking at screenshots or anything. Nothing made by laborers and homebuilders is perfect. Even the Greeks built curves (on purpose) into the Parthenon in Athens.
----------------------------------------
Steve N Mavronis - Retired PC Tech
[Jan 11, 2021, 2:00:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved