Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3504 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
jeromego

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Undesired sun light over the walls in aerial view...

Hi,

I have a house floor plan desgined in SH3D, and I would like to generate an aerial view (so a view from top), with the sun light (all interior lights off).
But when I render, the sun light is going over the walls, so I have lights and shadows just like if my floor has no ceiling...
I don't want the ceiling to appear on the render, but I would the sun light to behave as if there is a ceiling...

Any idea how I can do that ? Or what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
[Jan 27, 2021, 5:25:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Undesired sun light over the walls in aerial view...

It's not possible. Lighting works like in real life. Opening the cover of a box will let light enter in it.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 27, 2021, 6:29:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DATAstrm

It would be great if the root/second floor are invisible in aerial view but still somehow cast shadows based on light sources.

The goal would be to get an overhead view of what a floor would look like if you could somehow see through the celings (rather than the ceilings not being there). Like superman when he looks through a wall, it doesn't let more light into the room by deleting the wall.
[Feb 6, 2022, 6:33:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Sorry but you shouldn’t hope for such a feature because I don’t think any rendering engines can do that, and I’m not Superman wink
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 6, 2022, 7:10:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DATAstrm

You seem to be superman - having developed this great program.

It seems like this feature is possible with some renderers (see https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/1...e-invisible-in-the-render) -- but if it's not possible in this one, that's fine. Thanks for investigating. It would be a really great feature though, if possible.

I think it would involve using a transparent effect if the ray is from the object to the camera, but not otherwise.

Thanks for the responses. I hope my persistence doesn't come across as off putting.
[Feb 6, 2022, 8:55:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

@DATAstrm I used some clever trickery in Blender to create a room where when the viewpoint is in the room all the walls, ceiling are visible. When outside the room the walls, ceiling and objects between you and room automatically disappear and reappear, but they still cast shadows. I used the same "Is Camera Ray" + Transparent into a mixer that you point to, but also a Geometry:Incoming + some other math nodes to achieve the magic disappearing act.

I think SH3D is wonderful, and very good for figuring out your space. But if you want ArchViz grade imagery, or clever tricks like you describe, I just don't think Emmanuel has the bandwidth to implement every feature people dream up. You need to either move to (very expensive) commercial products, or you have to learn how to beat blender into submission. I chose option 2. smile
[Feb 7, 2022, 4:13:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved