Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 19
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9918 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
3D Custom Models - Using Other's Parts?

I'm working on my first custom furniture 3D model, built within SH3D. It's a retro dining room set of a china cabinet and hutch, they are from my grandparents. So far I only made the two base panels which have a 15% curve in the front. The real cabinets in my house have round tapered legs. I can't make them in SH3D so I looked for and found one I like on the 3D Warehouse, from Designs of Distinction by Brown Wood, Inc. Apparently they post there 3D models there in part to advertise their custom wood making services. I don't see anything here (https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/by/brownwoodinc?tab=products) about copyright, use attributions, etc. Should I contact them to ask permission to include them in my model, especially if I upload it somewhere for others to use? I'm worried about the ethics of using other people's stuff as parts for my model, even for personal use.

I wish that the SH3D developers would make a tool to make tapered cylinders similar to their Generate 3D shape tool. I'd rather make all my own 3D model parts from scratch.

----------------------------------------
Steve N Mavronis - Retired PC Tech
[Jan 29, 2021, 6:11:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: 3D Custom Models - Using Other's Parts?

The 3D models in Trimble 3D Warehouse are available under the General Model License described here (be sure to click on the GENERAL MODEL LICENSE tab at the the top of the page).
Its 1.B. section allows you to "create derivative works of models" and "distribute them" but its section 2.vi. section forbids you to "aggregate any content (including Models) obtained from 3D Warehouse for redistribution", so the limit is somewhere between what is considered as distributing and redistributing, probably just a scale story...

About the tapered cylinder, you could reuse the chimney of the example 12 in the gallery.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 29, 2021, 12:54:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Thanks for the Trimble breakdown. The aggregate part probably means redistributing a "collection" of their models to another hosting site. I did read where you can modify geometry and adapt. I guess the tricky part would be if you uploaded your models to 3D Warehouse and then you are regarded as a Developer and if you "misbehave" and put them legally at risk.

I like that furniture tapered leg though. When I lower its height it's off by around 1/16" higher than the 4 1/4" the cabinet sits off the ground. No biggie since you'll never see that. I could just make a simple 4 sided leg using the Generate 3D Shape tool and forget about it. I used to dabble in Blender back in 2008 where I made this Photon lasertag "bunker" when I was doing scale modeling but the keyboard commands were maddening. I got good results but the process was tedious. I downloaded SketchUp 2017, not sure if that's any easier.

(Image hosted from my Microsoft OneDrive - Imgur seems to be down at the moment.)

Thanks for the hollow chimney if I use it. I really think it would be of value for SH3D to have tapered object tool for cylindrical shapes and rectangles/polygons.
[Jan 29, 2021, 1:45:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Just a thumbnail for some context on that Blender object shape. I ended up not using it and just kept the native BSP subtractive/additive based modeling done within UnrealEd. This is how 80s lasertag looked like in real-life in-game. It's exact scale from blueprints:

[Jan 29, 2021, 2:35:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Thank you for the demo level chimney tip. I scaled it to 4 1/2" high, 2" diameter, and added brass end caps with a cylinder 1 1/2" high. The retro legs actually turned out more accurate to real-life than that 3D Warehouse model. Thanks, I appreciate you help! :)

[Jan 29, 2021, 11:59:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Whew, here's my almost complete first custom retro furniture creation! I still have to add 2 brass door handles and 3 decorative brass faux pull knobs in the middle. Thank god for the 3D shape tool plugin to be able to make my angled shapes. Next there's a longer hutch we have for a matching set.

[Jan 30, 2021, 9:04:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

Very well done and useful, Snmavronis!! Would you be kind to share it one day (see this article )?
[Jan 30, 2021, 1:29:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Very well done and useful, Snmavronis!! Would you be kind to share it one day (see this article )?

Of course! I'm glad you like it so far. :)
[Jan 30, 2021, 2:26:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

To be honest, I am not totally fond of this sort of furniture in mahogany but it reminds me the ones my parents used to have. But you did a good and realistic design!
[Jan 30, 2021, 3:44:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

To be honest, I am not totally fond of this sort of furniture in mahogany but it reminds me the ones my parents used to have. But you did a good and realistic design!

Yeah totally retro look from the maybe 60s through 70s. The real furniture is darker with the stain put on it. I just used the red wood texture in SH3D so it's a little brighter than it should be. Originally it was a yellow blonde wood finish from looking inside the bottom cabinet doors.

I just added 0 thick black lines to simulate the sliding glass grooves. Had to use the 3D Shape plugin for that too because you can't size a box with a zero dimension. It's becoming a great tool for me.

Next I'm working on the brass door and panel hardware. They have conical shapes in their retro design elements. I plan to use the same tapered "chimney" used for the legs scaled down. Where they join at the corners I'll use tiny spheres so it doesn't look rough edged.
[Jan 30, 2021, 4:54:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved