Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4920 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
enkonyito
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Alternative to Java 3D?

Is another scene graph than Java 3D possible or desirable for Sweet Home 3D?
As a lot of elements are linked to it (j3d and swing packages), would that necessarily mean the creation of a derived version?
----------------------------------------
EnkoNyito
[Feb 16, 2021, 3:43:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Alternative to Java 3D?

Replacing Java 3D by an other library is similar to the quest of finding a better rendering engine than SunFlow. It would require a lot of time, and even once you reached a working solution, you might have some bugs difficult to fix.

Another solution could be to program a half replacement, i.e. keeping a 3D API very similar to Java 3D API, but changing its implementation with more direct calls to OpenGL through JOGL and keeping only parts needed by Sweet Home 3D. This is one of the reasons why I didn't use an existing 3D library like Three.js when I ported Sweet Home 3D to JavaScript. I chose to learn WebGL and programmed a small library inspired from Java 3D (see scene3d.js and
HTMLCanvas3D.js mainly), with the hope that I could reuse my WebGL knowledge to implement a similar engine in Java with OpenGL / JOGL the day it will be required.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 19, 2021, 10:53:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

Another solution could be to program a half replacement, i.e. keeping a 3D API very similar to Java 3D API, but changing its implementation with more direct calls to OpenGL through JOGL and keeping only parts needed by Sweet Home 3D.

The 3D API of jMonkeyEngine being close to Java 3D, what do you mean by half-replacement while keeping the parts necessary for Sweet Home 3D?
Although some methods in this API have the same name or have the same functionality as Java 3d, their sub-methods are different.

Replacing Java 3D by an other library is similar to the quest of finding a better rendering engine than SunFlow. It would require a lot of time, and even once you reached a working solution, you might have some bugs difficult to fix.

Since Java 3D uses the GPU and manages the lights (ambient, directional, point and spot), how to adapt the PhotoRenderer class to use Java 3D as a less photorealistic rendering engine?
EnkoNyito
[Feb 28, 2021, 6:18:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

With jMonkeyEngine, I also get a difference between a color material and a texture material for the same RGB value as in this topic.

jME3.4.0_ColoredTexturedBoxes.jpg
EnkoNyito
[Aug 1, 2021, 4:11:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved