Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6287 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
eduelberg

Germany
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Import *obj - files created MS 3DBuilder not possible

Hello all,

I'm using SW3D Vers. 6.5 on W10 Computer.
I tried to import furniture created with MS 3DBuilder. But SW3D displays only an error message that the *.obj-Files has a wrong format.
This is only possible with very simple files.

Is there any possibility to edit the *.obj?

Best greetings

Elmar
[Mar 10, 2021, 2:36:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Import *obj - files created MS 3DBuilder not possible

OBJ files can be edited with any text editor.
If you're ready for it, specifications of its file format are explained here (for OBJ files) and there (for MTL files).
Maybe you could send me OBJ+MTL files that don't work, I'll try to check the problem.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Mar 10, 2021, 3:34:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
calawide

Italia

Ciao guys I got same problem. I use "Autodesk Tinkercad" (tinkrcad.com) to create some objects then I export them as OBJ+MTL. No way to import this file in SH3D. I found a workaround (very complicated). sometimes working sometimes not. I import the OBJ in "3D Builder", free Microsoft App, I rotate the object as needed then I export it again to OBJ format, now it is possible to import the object as a forniture. The problem is that not lways work. HELP!!!
[Mar 12, 2021, 11:19:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

As calawide send me his failing files, here are my report about them:
- The Tinkercad MTL file is wrong because the line starting by illum is supposed to be followed by an integer not a decimal number (see MTL specifications)
- The 3D Builder OBJ file is wrong because the lines starting by v are followed by 6 numbers not 3 or 4 numbers (see OBJ specifications).
Please report these issues to the teams of each software.
[Mar 12, 2021, 3:54:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
calawide

Italia

Grazie 1.000 for your help. In the meantime is there a way to modify the file using notepad or super difficult? The strange thing is that I tryed again the "double passage" and it worked... strange...
[Mar 12, 2021, 6:11:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

No, it's not difficult once you understood what to change.
OBJ and MTL files are just text files, that I changed myself with a text editor to check if my previous report was accurate.
[Mar 12, 2021, 6:34:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Cika

I was able to import before the new version.
However I found a quick solution,
1-Tinkercad export to obj
2-unpack zip
3-throw mtl file
4-SH3d import obj files
Hello
[Apr 2, 2021, 1:02:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved