Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10328 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Ubuntu 9.04 : Crash after import furniture

Hello all,

Today I installed SH3D 2.0 on my PC. I run the same version on my Windows Vista laptop without any problems. When I try to import furniture models on my Ubuntu PC SH3D crashes when I click the finish-button. This happens with both versions of SH3D: the web version AND the larger downloaded version.

My system:
- Ubuntu 9.04 (freshly installed yesterday)
- Intel duo core processor E6750
- 4 Gb memory (3.3 GB used??)
- not sure what video card, but it causes some glitches displaying the models on import
- Java 6 and Java RM installed
- 1680x1050 monitor

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 26, 2009, 11:49:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Ubuntu 9.04 : Crash after import furniture

I guess it' a problem with your video driver.
You're probably unable to change preferences or print the 3D view too. sad

Try the solutions described at the FAQ.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 26, 2009, 6:44:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Emmanuel,

Thanks for your reply. I found out that there is an Intel Graphics 950 Media Accelerator video card in my computer.

http://www.linwik.com/wiki/configuring+the+in...lerator+900-950+for+linux

This link makes me think that Ubuntu 9.04 automatically configures my graphics card the right way.

You were right that I cannot change preferences. The solution with the older Java 3D Library didn't work either.

Does that mean it's an "antique" graphics card?
Should I buy a new one?
If so, what are the requirements to run SH3D without problems? I don't play games, so I wouldn't need something very fancy.

Hope you can help me once more.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Sep 27, 2009, 12:48:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

From the document date at the end of this page, Intel Graphics 950 Media Accelerator is 4 years old at most, so it's not so old.
Before thinking about buying a new graphics card, I would be pleased if you could test Sweet Home 3D with Ubuntu default driver (if it's possible), by uninstalling the driver you found in your installation. It will run slower for sure but maybe without that bug.

To other Ubuntu users: please post here or in an other thread the video card / video driver you use successfully with Sweet Home 3D, to let Hans make his choice.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 27, 2009, 9:22:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Emmanuel,

I bought this PC two years ago. It came with Ubuntu 7.04 or 7.10 installed (and was more expensive than a similar PC with Windows, hahaha).

As I told, I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 a few days ago, directly from the Live CD. The installation procedure is SO SIMPLE that even I can do it. In other words: everything is standard. Just as Ubuntu installs it. I wouldn't know how to change a driver. And because I know Ubuntu does everything automatically, I thought that FOR ME a new graphics card would be easier to install (the shop will do it) than a new graphics driver. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who also uses Ubuntu, so I can't ask someone to do it for me.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Sep 27, 2009, 3:19:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Hello all :-)

Just a short update on my last post.

I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10. It comes with new graphics drivers. Guess what? My problem is solved and SH3D works like a charm!!

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Dec 14, 2009, 10:22:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jbartholomeus

Hello all,

I am working on an iMac and have exactly the same problem.
Most of the times i can perfectly import furniture but once in a while it crashes while doing the import. After the crash i can't get it to work again.

Anyone any ideas?

Joris
[Sep 26, 2012, 9:12:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Joris,

Two ideas:
- The model is too big, or too detailed (happens with plants with too many leafs)
- There is an error in the model.

If you share (a) link(s) with one or more of your problematic models, we can have a look to see if we can reproduce that error.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Sep 26, 2012, 12:32:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved