Blog

Index  | Recent Threads  | List Attachments  | Search
 Welcome Guest  |  Register  |  Login
Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 248
Posts: 248   Pages: 25   [ Previous Page | 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 636563 times and has 247 replies Next Thread
sjb007
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Generate roof plugin

Bellisimo!!! <chef's kiss>
[Dec 14, 2023, 5:41:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

@Keet and @sjb007 Thanks for the appreciations!
@Keet We accept the challenge BUT
You accept to contribute (with code + time) and to be part of GRT ??
Our time have the same value as your or others.
+ In place to spend valuable time modifying roofs in Blender,
you could help us (all of us) to make this plugin better.

What you propose was in my mind from long time ago but I've been forced to give up because of my very poor knowledge of math, 3D notions and programing skills.

Few considerations:
1. I think the straight skeleton is limited to what you seen already.
2. Probably we have to go back to the version 1.0 and fallow an other path adapted to this version features (maybe more).
3. The problem with straight skeleton is that is limited to 0 elevation of polygon points to compute planes.
I've tried (not too hard) to pass this limitations but not worked every time.
4. To the actual UI it is needed to add a features to select and modify individual points, edges and (or) faces. Like AOI does.
When (if) WE will work at it WE will see probably more.
IMO it worth a try! (even from your side)
----------------------------------------
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Dec 15, 2023, 11:06:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

@Keet We accept the challenge BUT
You accept to contribute (with code + time) and to be part of GRT ??
What you propose was in my mind from long time ago but I've been forced to give up because of my very poor knowledge of math, 3D notions and programing skills.
I have no problem with contributing with both time and code but it's going to take some time. I send you a PM with more details.
[Dec 15, 2023, 11:49:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

Incredible! This is becoming almost an application on it's own.
I specifically like it that the border textures now align correctly. Until now I had to edit the roof object to create a separate material for each border so I could adjust it's alignment. Many users will like the window option as there were multiple forum questions in the last year about that.

With such a great Christmas present maybe a challenge for next years Christmas?
Look at this image: https://www.mediafire.com/view/iru00f2ydqt24z6/roofgeneratorchallenge.png/file
Left is a generated roof, right is an initially generated roof but then heavily modified in Blender. Notice how the roof line (border) follows the sloping wall heights in the modified roof? You think that's enough of a challenge for next years Christmas?
For completeness here's the Sweet Home 3D project (part of a bigger project): https://www.mediafire.com/file/2z5qiibguf1w85c/RoofGeneratorChallenge.sh3d/file

For this particular case there is no need to modify the roof in Blender, you just have to set to 90° the slope of all faces except the ones on the 2 sides, and make them transparent. Then decrease the elevation of the roof level until it matches the walls.

In general, as long as a roof side has a constant slope from its edge till its top, then the roof generator can build it. The straight skeleton algorithm can generate additional faces if required. You can control the slope of the face at the edge, and the slope of the generated faces is computed automatically to match the geometry.
What you cannot do, is to split a side into multiple faces at an arbitrary point between the edge and top, as in the roof created by VeroniQ in her recent post, which has a sort of skirt at the edges (there is no mean to set where the transition should happen, and to set the new slope).
[Dec 18, 2023, 2:40:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

For this particular case there is no need to modify the roof in Blender, you just have to set to 90° the slope of all faces except the ones on the 2 sides, and make them transparent. Then decrease the elevation of the roof level until it matches the walls.
I tried that but I got all kinds of weird angles and slopes. Probably because I touched the wrong faces to set to 90°. I gave up when I couldn't get it right, all borders remained in the horizontal plane. Have you tried it with the room in the project I uploaded? I would like to see how that worked out because as said, I couldn't get the borders to follow the slopes in the higher point of the roof.

I have now recreated the roof by creating 7 shapes which proved to be incredibly easy and fast to do. I oriented all textures correctly and made hidden sides invisible before exporting each shape. Then I edited the obj files to fix the material names. After import I assembled them together and exported them as a single roof that can be correctly textured with just four material properties: Roof, Ceiling, Border, and Back. The resulting roof is also surprisingly small: only 5kB when exported with only colors, 98kB with three different textures. Now the roof is perfect and I didn't need Blender for that!

For those who didn't notice:
When creating furniture always use textures for all sides so you can fix the orientation if needed. Doesn't make a difference what texture you use as long as you can see that it is aligned as you want. After export/import replace all textures with colors and export again which makes the object a lot smaller. The important thing is that the orientations are preserved so when you replace a color with a texture it looks as intended. (My roof went from 98kB to only 5kB just by replacing textures with colors on the last export.)
[Dec 18, 2023, 4:21:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

A quarter of my part of challenge, done!

The file is here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/7z4i7r1wjlme1d...atorChallengeDD.sh3d/file

First two from the left are made by Keet, last two are made with the plugin (not the one you have).
Don't try to open it with v.4.5. Probably will don't work (I'm sure).

@Daniels118
I've tried first! It worked but with not the expected results.
The generated roofs are inclined inside and it needed to be in the opposite.

@Keet & company
The roofs are partially set manually in Home.xml only to see if it works and worth.
It worth.
While I'm a drunker and Santa already brings you the presents you will have to be good until the next Christmas.

Marry Christmas to all of you!
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
[Dec 18, 2023, 9:14:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Looks like you are close to solving the challenge! And it's not even Christmas 2023 yet, let alone Christmas 2024 laughing

This is the roof created with shapes:
(The custom windows were a lot more work than the roof...)

[Dec 18, 2023, 11:06:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

@Keet, @Dorin
Sorry, I didn't notice from the picture that there were 2 non-inclined walls on the left side. By the way, the solution is the same: set the face slope to 90° for faces along non-sloped walls.
Now I've tried it myself, here is the result (I have corrected the slope to 20° to better match the slope of the walls):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/gsu8jvpbakjkq86/RoofGeneratorChallenge.sh3d/file
[Dec 22, 2023, 10:07:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

That is very close but still not exactly the required result.
Notice the roof in the second image in my previous post. You can see that the roof has 7 segments, not the 3 in your try.
Segments 1,2,7 have a horizontal border. Segments 3,4,5,6 all have a different inclinement that is reduced to 3 inclinements in your roof (1, 234, 567). Not having 7 segments means you can not adjust the texture angle for each segment like I did in this image for segments 2, 4, and 6.

Basicaly it comes back to where this started: the need to incline a border along the wall slope.

Take the room used for the roof. Generate the roof, set the long back to 90° and set the rest to 20°. That is almost correct IF the border would follow the slope of the wall. I don't think you can get that with setting other faces to 90° because it moves other faces to act as a single face following the incline like in your example. That's why you only get 3 segments and not the 7 there should be.

I think the problem is that there is no face for the needed inclinement which can be set to 90° and made invisible. I can't figure out if the room itself could be changed so those extra faces will appear. Adding points at the center of the sloping edges didn't give the wanted result.

Could there be an 'easy' solution if the generator creates an extra face for a sloping wall? This would mean that the generator would have to use walls instead of a room. (The start-end points of a wall are almost the same as the points of a room.) It might make it easier to create holes in a roof too.

A few remarks:
• Previously when you dragged the angle arrow the preview image and degree-number updated while dragging. Now it only updates on mouse-up.
• Wasn't there an option for extending the roof outside the room? (So you don't have to create a larger room.) Or is that just wishful thinking?

Anyway, great work and the effort to find a solution withing the current possibilities is very much appreciated!

Edit: fixed image link
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Keet at Dec 22, 2023, 8:11:41 PM]
[Dec 22, 2023, 12:12:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

@Daniels118
As usual you've right. I've retried and after ~30" I have the same result.
@Keet
1. Considering your first request, the borders to fallow the sloping walls, I think was already solved.

2. In your specific construction it appear the faces 2,3,4 are part of the same plan. The faces 5,6,7 are also part of the same plan.
So, the program will treated as a single face.

3. It appear you have the same result in Blender with the exception you've use a lot of textures side-by-side.

4. As far as I've read on the net the straight skeleton have at least two minuses:
- don't invent faces where don't exist edges; it can combine (or split again the combined) edges to generate a face(s).
Sometimes this kind of features (to add edge where is needed) could be very useful but I didn't find (yet) even a theory to do this.
- don't fill gaps which could appear between some faces (planes) for the same reason: no edge no plan.

5. All this will don't stop me to try to make some improvements until next Christmas.
Probably will look something like this:

-I try to modify/add/remove points (one at a time).
Unfortunately is not so simple as it looks.

6. About your remarks:

• Indeed I've modified to act in this way.
    When dragged the plugin try to solve all the intermediary values which cause latency and flickering.
    Anyway for more accuracy use arrows and fine slope.
  • It is still there and is extended to 179 degrees over the room edge.

Thanks for the appreciations of the work of this team (GRT).
[Dec 22, 2023, 6:28:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 248   Pages: 25   [ Previous Page | 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved