Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 28
Posts: 28   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4258 times and has 27 replies Next Thread
NIMAN

United Kingdom
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Process for orthographic, outlined, sectioned, images.

On a related note, I've said some things about the limitations and capabilities of SH3D, the Side view plugin and the Pan3D plugin.

Hi again sjb007.

I thoroughly enjoyed your Planning video (and the Blender one too) - hope there really are more of those in the pipeline (if I haven't missed them somewhere).

I had no particular idea where to post this but your comment made me feel that it might as well be here?

You had mentioned Inkscape to me previously so, having looked at that a bit, I now imagine that taking an "edge defined" SH3D Side View PNG into Inkscape for tracing around could be a (bit long winded admittedly) reasonable method to use in order to, eventually, produce my series of detailed sectional elevations for a Building Control Full Plan Application.

On my Win 7 machine, the virtual visit sideview (pan 3D plugin parallel projection function off) produced the following:

https://postimg.cc/Ty7b3f8R

that not, I think, particularly amenable to tracing with Inkscape.

Simply switching the pan3d "parallel" function on produced this:

https://postimg.cc/qh883XTK

Which seems that it could be relatively straightforward to trace using Inkscape.

However, on my Win10 machine both side view images (parallel on/off) are the same as on the Win7 machine parallel off.

Perhaps someone might understand/comment on the nature of the difference?

I don't think i'll ever get to the number of SH3D levels that I, think I, remember seeing you have used but can definitely see a couple of dozen being required smile
[Dec 8, 2023, 3:03:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Hi NIMAN.

So the lines need to be enabled in the parallel projection mode. Ordinarily this is done under "3D Menu > Pan 3D View Settings", and then set Outline to true. In my Linux system I'm getting an exception currently, so this may or may not work for you on Windows.

If that fails you can manually edit the config file for the Pan3D plugin. It'll be AppData\Roaming\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\pan3dview.xml

Edit it so the outline key is true, i.e.
<entry key="outline">true</entry>

(You might want to change the outlineThickness here too.)

That should fix your issue.

Yes, I keep meaning to continue that series of videos, but I got lazy, and blocked. I've finally managed to get the hierarchical import feature added to Blender , so the structured import now works like a dream, and I don't have to explain applying patches to everyone.

There is still an outstanding issue with the stage setup that causes Blender to segmentation fault. I have a "dumb" fix that works for me, but probably causes mayhem in many other cases, and requires building Blender from source. I'm waiting on someone knowledgeable to fix this still - I definitely am not knowledgeable enough to fix this myself. (I'm doing my best give a push without becoming an annoying dick, but it has now been three releases of Blender... <sigh>)

Lastly, I need to revisit my SweetHome3D object export patch. Asking people to build SH3D is equally as bad as asking them to build Blender, so I really need to sit down and see if I can turn it into a plugin. I did post is as a patch to Sourceforge but either Emmanuel never saw it, or didn't like it. So I have to try and turn this from a crude hacky patch into a crude hacky plugin. laughing I should note that I'm pretty good with Python, but I suck at Java (SweetHome3D) and C++ (Blender). This is my lame excuse for not getting on with this.
[Dec 8, 2023, 5:19:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Sorry, I saw your patch, was about to make some changes in OBJWriter class but felt your changes were really very specific and could stop working if Blender changed its implementation of OBJ files importation. But I didn't forget the idea wink
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 8, 2023, 7:05:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Well, it only took fourteen months, two different bug trackers and my own functional patches in both Python and C++ (ugh!) until I wore down the guy who coded the C++ WavObject importer to implement it properly in Blenders default, forever importer. One down...

One to go... Muahahahaha!!! wink
[Dec 8, 2023, 9:27:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
NIMAN

United Kingdom

Congratulations sjb007 with implementation in #115742 applause

So the lines need to be enabled in the parallel projection mode. Ordinarily this is done under "3D Menu > Pan 3D View Settings", and then set Outline to true. In my Linux system I'm getting an exception currently, so this may or may not work for you on Windows.

If that fails you can manually edit the config file for the Pan3D plugin. It'll be AppData\Roaming\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\pan3dview.xml

Unfortunately, on Win 10, neither manual edit of pan3dview.xml to "true" nor using the pan 3d view settings (SH3D user interface) outline set to "both" caused any outline to appear on the Display side view - image links here for the record (SH3D was restarted after each relevant change):

both https://postimg.cc/jL3pZmVW
true https://postimg.cc/75DK1NhC

(Note, these are not the detailed technical drawings. I'll still need a pro for those.)

For the Building Control Application? is that still the case?

If so, would be interested in your pro required reasoning.
[Dec 9, 2023, 8:07:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Hmmm. That should have worked. Daniels118 has released a fix for the non appearing dialog for the plugin. Update that, and retry. If it is still not working you will probably need to try talking/working with Daniels118 to figure out why this is failing.

For detailed technical drawings I was talking about the documents that go beyond the simple external appearance/internal layout needed to get the planning department to grant permission. Maybe more technical drawings can be skipped if the job is a standard one on a standard property where the builder does the job in the standard way that he's already done a dozen times. My property is anything but standard, being a Frankenstein-like mashup of 150 year old barn, 600mm thick solid rubble-stone walls, an early '90's conversion to domestic use, and internally styled to look like a '70's caravan. Given the degree of changes to the existing fabric and structure that my current plans entail, I expect to need technical drawings.
[Dec 9, 2023, 3:31:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Oh!!!! Hang on. @NIMAN I see now. I didn't even realise the Pan3D outline stuff worked with the Side View plugin. Yeah, I can't help. That is one for Daniels118 and Emmanuel to figure out as the respective authors of those plugins.
[Dec 9, 2023, 3:44:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
NIMAN

United Kingdom

If it is still not working you will probably need to try talking/working with Daniels118 to figure out why this is failing.

Yes, I knew there were 2 plugins/different authors involved. It's why I didn't post directly on their own implementation threads in the first place ... i'll toss a coin later.

a Frankenstein-like mashup of 150 year old barn, 600mm thick solid rubble-stone walls, an early '90's conversion to domestic use, and internally styled to look like a '70's caravan.

Interesting, to say the least - I understand now. Good luck with all that!!
[Dec 11, 2023, 8:49:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

For your information, there's no outline drawing feature in Sweet Home 3D, and it's the reason number one why I hesitated to program the SideView plug-in during a long time.
There's only an option which allows to draw the contour of each polygon drawn by the program and this option can be activated in Pan3DView plug-in, but this option will show many undesired lines in a side view as shown in the following image.

----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 11, 2023, 10:26:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
NIMAN

United Kingdom

There's only an option which allows to draw the contour of each polygon drawn by the program and this option can be activated in Pan3DView plug-in, but this option will show many undesired lines in a side view as shown in the following image.

The undesired lines seem to be of little/no consequence in the use case envisioned, which is:

Import of SH3D Display side view plugin png image (which includes polygon contour and at as high a resolution as possible) to Inkscape as a basis for tracing sectional vertical elevations therein.

However, from what I can tell so far, SH3D side view plugin window output is different based solely on Operating System (Win7/Win10). On Win 7 this image, seems to, show the polygon contour in the Display side view plugin window:

https://postimg.cc/hhhkfJYC

But is not present in the Win 10 equivalent.

Again, from what I know, both Win 7 and Win 10 SH3D setups are identical and pan3d view settings, relating to the screenshot image, on both are "Outline/parallel projection".

For the use case it'd be nice to have the side view window also have the polygon contours in Win 10.
[Dec 11, 2023, 3:18:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 28   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved