Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 629 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
jdg1984

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Lines and text to walls

Is there a way to add text and lines of color, i.e. a diagonal orange line on part of a blue wall and add text to that wall?
[Jun 14, 2023, 2:50:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy
Re: Lines and text to walls

Text can be added using the text tool, then edit the text properties and set its orientation to vertical, then rotate and move the text to place it on the wall.
For complex drawing you may find easier to use a drawing program and then import your drawing as a texture. You can place the texture on the face of a flattened box and put it on the wall.
[Jun 15, 2023, 6:32:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

The rendered text from Sweethome3D has a low resolution resulting in very ragged letters. Looks good while in SH3D but after export/import it doesn't look the same.
For text you should use a graphics program like GIMP to create an image of your text and use the image as a texture on your furniture/wall/floor. Create an image the size of the surface you want to apply it to. That way it's easy to create the text and it's position exactly like you want it too. It also allows using multiple colors or a fancy background. That also solves your problem to add lines with colors to your wall.
You can use the box Daniels118 mentioned but you can also apply the image directly to the wall.
[Jun 15, 2023, 7:49:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

Just note that a texture applied to a wall will repeat for the whole height and length of the wall. Of course you can scale the texture to match the wall size, but this will also enlarge the drawing (also you can split the wall to apply the texture only to a segment, but this works only for lenght, not for height). Creating a texture the same size of the wall may be quite annoying, especially if you have to resize the wall because you have to resize the texture too.
By applying the texture on a furniture (i.e. a box) you will decouple the image size from the wall size, giving much more freedom. You may optionally use a transparent background and export the texture as PNG to let see the background color of the wall.

You may also consider using the Wirings plugin to rapidly prototyping the lines, but this will not work when rendering.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Daniels118 at Jun 15, 2023, 8:52:04 AM]
[Jun 15, 2023, 8:48:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

@Daniels118
I once applied one of the default sky textures to a large wall. I think I had to upsize it 10000% but it did look great. Your box option is simpler to handle, especially if the size of the wall is not definite yet and the result definitely looks good. It does have the advantage that you can simply copy the box for use in other places and the look will remain the same.
Just for the box option I created a custom box with all sides having the property "Box" except the front which is "Front". I have a row of swimming pool start platforms that each have three of those custom boxes for a number. For each platform I apply a different number texture and with one number selection all three numbers on the platform change.

Luckily we have different options so we can choose one that best fits a specific situation!

The only thing missing is an option to apply an SVG as a texture. That could allow to set a different text color.
(And of course animated PNG's so we can have moving water laughing)
[Jun 15, 2023, 9:26:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jdg1984

United States

Awesome thanks everyone.
[Jun 15, 2023, 1:11:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved