Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 680 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
How-To create a round hole in a floor

To create a round hole in a floor without using a staircase you will have to create a "Hole" object.
(You will need the Furniture Library Editor.)

1. Draw a thin wall and set it's arc to 180°
2. Copy the wall, and after deselecting the previous wall paste it.
3. Rotate the pasted wall 180°
4. You now have a circle. Adjust the height of the walls so it's not too high
5. Export both walls as an object naming it something like HoleInTheFloor.
6. Import the HoleInTheFloor object in a Furniture Library. Set the Keywords for the object to 'Hole Floor' so you can easily find it in the furniture list using the search box. Set the category to Miscellaneous.
7. Check the "Staircase" property
8. Set the "Cutout shape (SVG)" to:
staircaseCutOutShape='M 0.5,0.5 l 0.5,0 A 0.5,0.5 1 1,0 0,0.5 A 0.5,0.5 1 1,0 1,0.5 z'
9. Save and import the furniture library in Sweethome3D

You can now use the HoleInTheFloor object from the Furniture List to create a round hole in a floor. Just resize it, change the height to the floor thickness, and elevate to your level height. You can of course create different holes by using thicker or thinner walls to create different HoleInTheFloor objects with different wall thicknesses.
[Jul 8, 2023, 2:11:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: How-To create a round hole in a floor

The process Keet describes gives you perfect round holes. But... it's a bit fiddly.

If a slightly less perfect result is acceptable, there is a simpler way.

See the attached file which should explain the process.

Instead of thick walls (for clarity) use the thinnest walls possible, e.g. 0.1 mm. If necessary adjust the created floors to eliminate the thin (0.1 mm wide) gap between the two rooms.

Again, it's not as perfect as Keet's method, but for me it's good enough and it can all be done within SH3D.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hansmex at Jul 9, 2023, 9:50:25 AM]
[Jul 9, 2023, 8:42:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

@Hans
Yep, that would work too, but if you go that way I would connect the circle wall in the square with a single wall. That way you keep a single room and if you use a very thin wall (0.1) to connect it's easy to fix the gap-line that occurs after you remove the connection wall without distorting the circle. (If magnetism is ON Sweethome3D will snap one point to another with a mouse drag of a room point.)

The main advantage of the method I described is that the result is a reusable object you can use whenever you need a hole without having to bother with creating a new hole. It's much easier to move than with the walls method. Another advantage is that you have a border which you can give a texture. The sides of a room don't have a separate texture property. With a color it's no problem but with a texture the side doesn't scale very well. Using the border of the hole object you can correct that. If you don't want the border you can make it invisible.

Still, your method is a very good way when you want to create oddly shaped holes, although you won't have the option for a border.

(New item for my wishlist: If we could somehow see the SVG path as created with the walls-method Hans described we could use the walls to create an object and use the method I described and have the correct cutout shape to set for the object. For oddly shaped holes the cutout could become very complex.)
[Jul 9, 2023, 9:32:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

@Keet

Indeed, it works with just one wall as well :-) Thanks!
I have adapted the linked file accordingly.

I developed this "trick" in a time when SH3D wasn't able to draw a room around a hole. It's not something I use often, and also, for me correct measures are more important than correct visuals.

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jul 9, 2023, 9:55:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved