Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1832 times and has 11 replies Next Thread

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
3D rendering using GPU cores

3D rendering using GPU cores

What would be a wonderful solution for the rather extreme slow rendering of 3D images. Especially the very long rendering time when images are needed in higher resolutions i.e. 4000 pixel.
A 3D rendering engine that uses all the GPU cores of a modern video card i.e. Nvidia.
That would be awesome!
[Aug 22, 2023, 6:50:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: 3D rendering using GPU cores

Something like the Cycles renderer as used by Blender, Poser, Rhino. Open Source so well suited for Sweet Home 3D.
I have a brand new RTX4070 waiting in the box for my new machine to get back from repairs. That would make it fly smile
[Aug 22, 2023, 7:22:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enigmaxg2

El Salvador

This has just released, I think it could be of help since makes Java apps to run on GPUs, FPGAs and more.

https://github.com/beehive-lab/TornadoVM
[Dec 6, 2023, 2:12:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

The render engines used in SH3D aren't written in java, they are external native code called using JNI.

By the way I'm working on a solution to unload our CPUs while rendering, I will provide more details in the next weeks. Stay tuned!
[Dec 6, 2023, 8:30:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Sorry, but SunFlow is written in Java.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 6, 2023, 9:13:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

@Puybaret
Thanks for having pointed it out, I wrongly assumed that it uses a DLL like Yafaray does.

About porting java code under TornadoVM, I ask myself how much easy could it be. From a first look it seems that it's easy to port pieces of code that already looks like code that should run on a GPU (such as kernel operations), so I wonder how much of SunFlow is affine to this porting, considering that it has been designed to run on a CPU and may have just few routines that match the requirement.

A relatively easy improvement could be to not change SunFlow at all, but to implement an additional denoising step that would allow to have smooth images without having to render at larger resolution than required just to shrink them back to destroy the scratches. This could be applied after the rendering made with any engine, so the denoising code can be shared for both SunFlow and YafaRay. However, to reach the state of art in denoising algorithms, the render engine should be modified to output not just the pixel colors, but also the normal vectors of the rendered surfaces.

By the way I also wonder if anyone is going to try this integration.
[Dec 7, 2023, 10:23:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GaudiGalopin3324
Advanced Member

Russia
applause Re: 3D rendering using GPU cores

I'm reading with bated breath. Dear gurus. Please do something else for all of us. I will make a wish for the New Year so that the rendering will be faster). And we really need a fast YafaRay.
[Dec 7, 2023, 7:29:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Loule

FR

The render engines used in SH3D aren't written in java, they are external native code called using JNI.

By the way I'm working on a solution to unload our CPUs while rendering, I will provide more details in the next weeks. Stay tuned!

Hi, any news about that? :)
[Dec 21, 2023, 9:40:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Don't believe too much in Santa Claus.
If it was simple, it would have been avalaible for a long time.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 22, 2023, 1:37:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

I can give a little anticipation: the solution I'm working on will be cloud based, that means that you won't need to buy costly hardware to speed up your renderings. But, even more worthly, you can continue working on your home, or just power off your PC while the rendering is executed in the cloud. And, moreover, you will be able to render files made with SweetHome 3D Online, without the need to install the program on your PC.
[Dec 22, 2023, 2:53:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved