Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 16
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1622 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
Waldemar.Hersacher

Germany
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Linux, slow actions in 2D area.

Thank you for the explanations.

1. Memory
I was programming in NI LabVIEW and for the last 10 years in C# for the .Net Framework. Both running on Windows. In both environments the garbage collector will decrease memory when the new loaded file needs less objects than the old one.
I never programmed in Java so I don't have any experience with it. But I expected when starting SH3D the memory is b. Loading Home1 it is b + h1. Loading Home2 giving a second instance of SH3D it is b + h1 + h2. Removing the instance of Home 1 it will give b + h2 + r. I think r is management information for the objects which is also be used by Home 2.

2. 3D View
I was always asking myself how I can close the 3D View. I see the three dots on the three splitter bars (the vertical one and the two horizontal). But I don't see an arrow even not in GIMP with 400 % scaling.
----------------------------------------
MSI GP60, Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy, SH3D 7.2 with Photo-video rendering 2.8
[Jan 7, 2024, 10:18:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Same here, 30+ years C#, multiple other languages but not Java. The point was that collecting garbage takes time, even if it's so little you should hardly notice it. More collections = more time. How much memory really is freed or not is not that important nowadays as long as you have enough memory for the job. Working without enough memory will cause swapping and THAT is really slow.

The 2D and 3D panes are separated with a thin splitter bar. On the left of that bar you should see two tiny arrows. You can drag the splitter bar up and down or use the tiny arrows to fully open/close one of the panes. Same with the left and right panes. That splitter bar has the tiny arrows at the top of the bar.
[Jan 7, 2024, 12:35:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Waldemar.Hersacher

Germany

They should be located at the left or right end of the bar or at the top or bottom. But I'm missing them.

And it doesn't matter which pane is active. I miss them even if the 3D view is active.
MSI GP60, Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy, SH3D 7.2 with Photo-video rendering 2.8
[Jan 7, 2024, 1:43:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

You're right, they should be visible but aren't. This remains even after restarting Sweet Home 3D?
You can try to detach/re-attach the 3D pane. Right-click in the 3Dview window and select "Display in separate window". Then right click in the 3DView window again and select "Display in main window". With a little luck the arrows will appear, otherwise the separate window is possibly an option for you.
I have Sweet Home 3D running on several versions of Debian with the Mate desktop and have never lost the arrows. Maybe it's a specific problem with your Linux desktop or desktop theme. Try the default theme and see if the arrows appear.
[Jan 7, 2024, 3:03:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

This is the fault of the GTK Look and Feel that is used by default in Ubuntu. You have two options:

1) Use Ctrl-Space. This will hide the 3D pane effectively. I can't find a shortcut to bring it back, so you would have to drag it up. There might be one, I just can't find it right now.

2) Disable the GTK theme so you see the arrows on the splitter. Warning: Ugly UI ahead! Just add the following comand line option in the SweetHome3D startup script:
-Dswing.defaultlaf=javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel

[Jan 7, 2024, 5:17:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

A long list of Sweet Home 3D keyboard shortcuts: https://www.sweethome3d.com/blog/2019/03/29/sweet_home_3d_shortcuts.html
By-the-way, Ctrl Space is not in that list and neither is its reversal.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Keet at Jan 7, 2024, 5:42:16 PM]
[Jan 7, 2024, 5:37:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved