Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1363 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
LearningSH3D

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
"Black Screen" Running Sweet Home 3D on QEMU/KVM on AMD

Hi I'm running Sweet Home 3D (6.6.2+dfsg-1) on a virtual machine (QEMU/KVM) on Ubuntu 22.04. The host box is also Ubuntu 22.04 (AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics)

When it launches it briefly shows the screens. But then everything turns black. When I click on an area it will briefly show it but then switch back to black a moment later.

This issue may have already been addressed but I thought I'd ask. I know there were discussions about AMD graphics drivers but I have the latest as far as I know.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
[Oct 3, 2023, 7:43:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: "Black Screen" Running Sweet Home 3D on QEMU/KVM on AMD

1. Remove your 6.6 Sweet Home 3D version. The version from the repository is way too old. Download and install the latest 7.2 version.
2. If you have not configured direct throughput of your graphics card to the virtual machine it's not AMD but a virtualized graphics card.
4. Use the SweetHome3D-Java3D_1_5_2 startup script instead of the default SweetHome3D script. (This alone will probably solve your problem with the 6.6 version too.)
3. Make sure your graphics driver is up-to-date if running from the host or with direct access to the graphics card enabled.
5. In my experience using Sweet Home 3D inside a virtual machine is slower than on the host. You'll experience this when projects get bigger.
[Oct 4, 2023, 8:23:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
LearningSH3D

Re: "Black Screen" Running Sweet Home 3D on QEMU/KVM on AMD

Thanks Keet! I'll make these changes. Plus check/plan on VM migration if there's a performance issue. I appreciate it!
[Oct 4, 2023, 2:43:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved