Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 401 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
mjbiggs

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
How do I keep model from moving when using 'Modify openings...' for object with horizontal hinge?

I've created a window model with a flap with rotates about a horizontal hinge. For an existing model with similar rotation see 'Folding wall seat' by Scopia.

If the 'Folding wall seat', is attached to a wall, and then adjusted so that the seat rotates down, then the whole object is repositioned up the wall.

It appears that SweetHome3d applies the object elevation to the lowest part of the object, and this of course changes each time the object opening is modified.

Is there a way to prevent this vertical movement, akin to keeping a door static horizontally when it is opened?
[Oct 31, 2023, 4:38:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: How do I keep model from moving when using 'Modify openings...' for object with horizontal hinge?

This was discussed before here: https://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,12620_offset,20 .
Personally I consider it a bug but I understand why it's not fixed and possibly never will. A fix is not simple because there's a risk that a deformation (turning the flap down) will create a bottom value below 0, which is something Sweet Home 3D does not allow (you use levels to get lower).
For the window: don't rotate the flap below the window bottom and it should remain at the same elevation. Otherwise you are stuck with adjusting the elevation.

There is an ugly workaround: export the wall including the window and import it again. Now the window will remain where it is even if the flap goes below the window bottom BUT the wall is no longer a wall but an object that you manipulate like furniture, not like walls.

I don't know if it's possible in your situation but this works too: attach a small box to the bottom of the window that disappears in the wall when you place the window. The bottom of the box should be below where the flap reaches when turned down. (of course export the window with the box and import it again as a window.)
Now the bottom of the box is lower than the flap you rotate down and the elevation will not change. You will have to import the window in a Furniture Library where you can adjust the cut-out shape so the hole that is cut in the wall is only the window and doesn't include the box. Note that you can't place the window lower than the bottom of the box.

(For the seat I would have added an invisible box to the wall mounts to achieve the same. It will still snap to wall and you can flip down the seat while retaining the same elevation. You just can't place it lower than the bottom of the invisible box which should not be a problem.)
[Oct 31, 2023, 5:21:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mjbiggs

Re: How do I keep model from moving when using 'Modify openings...' for object with horizontal hinge?

That's great, thanks for replying so quickly.

Thanks for the forum link. I hadn't found that thread.
Thanks too for your workaround suggestions. Will adopt one of those.

Cheers.
[Oct 31, 2023, 5:38:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved