Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 338 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
madtheos

India
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
shock Dimensions bug and snapping

Casual user here, using SH3D intermittently (currently 7.2) and I'm quite frustrated with the dimension tool. It needs to snap to corners and edges, but it doesn't. I have already had a couple of mishaps today with dimensions being off by 5mm despite best efforts. I simply can't use the tool with measurements I haven't already calculated.

When I look for solutions, I see people recommending that I use the 'double click edge to create dimension' method. The main problem is that not everything I want to dimension is a single continuous edge, or an edge at all. That leads to messy workarounds.

The second problem is clearly a bug. The precision of the dimension created with double click changes with zoom, which is not ideal at all. If I zoom in and create a dimension it says 316.5cm which is the actual size. But if I create it while zoomed out, it says 316cm.
[Nov 30, 2023, 10:10:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Dimensions bug and snapping

The precision of walls, rooms and dimensions depends on zoom factor on purpose. It’s not a bug. Not everybody needs millimeter precision and certainly not in home building.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 30, 2023, 2:46:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
madtheos

India

"on purpose"

What is that purpose?

The error is up to 5cm if I zoom out. That is not trivial. And even with 5mm error, if you have twenty short segments and you dimension one and multiply by twenty, you end up building skewed walls 10cm off.

It is understandable that there is no millimeter precision. 0.5cm being the smallest unit is perfectly fine by me. But when I ask for the length of a wall, I want the length of the wall accurate to 0.5cm, consistently. Not 390cm, 394cm, and 393.5cm depending on the weather.
[Dec 8, 2023, 10:25:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The length is based on actual pixel precision: when the plan displayed at screen is small, a difference of one pixel can make a difference of centimeters. If the plan displayed at screen is large, the distance between pixels is more accurate when converted to a length.

It is understandable that there is no millimeter precision.
It is always arguable, some users could say that 1 mm is important for them, some others prefer 1 cm precision!
So, I decided to use the rule explained above. It's up to users to decide the method they want:
- zoom in or out when they double click to create dimensions,
- draw precisely dimensions by pressing <enter> key and entering the exact values they want,
- draw dimensions quickly then zoom in and adjust the ends of dimensions
- draw dimensions then adjust their length with dimensions modification dialog box added in version 7.2.
[Dec 8, 2023, 11:54:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dpdesign

What about the dimension snapping? I'm a new user to SH 3D and this should be something that is standard. I can't seem to find a way to do it though.

I'm more experienced in Visio.

Thanks,
Dev
[Dec 13, 2023, 3:17:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I don't think snapping in a home design software is interesting. Take measure of your own home and you'll see that probably no wall measures an exact value in cm or inch.
[Dec 14, 2023, 9:42:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dpdesign

Huh? The dimensions on the drawing should snap to the wall so if a wall is moved in the drawing the dimension automatically adjusts. It's been a standard thing in Visio in Cad.

Is it not a standard in this software? Why not?
[Dec 15, 2023, 11:08:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I thought you meant snapping to the grid.
Dimensions are not attached to the object they measure in Sweet Home 3D. It’s easier to program and handle objects not bound to each other.
[Dec 15, 2023, 11:39:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved