Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 260 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
goldenjet50

Canada
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Wall elevations

Since I'm new, apologies if this has been answered ... if so, point me there. (and I did check but didn't see a completely viable solution)

There is often the need to create "stub" walls at different elevations within the same level, such as a build-out above cabinets, or even the header above a breezeway. I know that there are solutions such as inserting a door frame or even a service hatch in the wall portion that you want to "disappear", but it seems that it would be much easier if you could simply create a wall at a different elevation. It also has the advantage of not cluttering up the drawing with items that really aren't there and you don't want to be there (such as the door frame or the service hatch that forms the hole below the wall piece that you are trying to show). There is also the problem with service hatches in that they show that white bar at the bottom which messes with the floor or floor texture.

Maybe it is as simple as a furniture item called "wall section" that is therefore sizeable and has the inherent ability to add at a prescribed elevation?
[Dec 7, 2023, 10:58:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy
Re: Wall elevations

For the 3D view problem of the border on the floor, you can just edit the service hatch and make its materials invisible. For the plan view I think that a special window with a custom symbol could be made.
[Dec 8, 2023, 6:30:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

https://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,9324#43512
[Dec 8, 2023, 6:33:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Maybe it is as simple as a furniture item called "wall section" that is therefore sizeable and has the inherent ability to add at a prescribed elevation?
That is where you should use an extra level. I know, it's not on the same level but it does exactly what you you want: it's elevated and acts and displays as a wall. The solution Daniels118 offered certainly works but as he said, you will have to create a custom object for it and optionally a 2D icon. But that also means an extra object that shouldn't be there. That is a perfect solution if the hole you want is custom, like a triangle under a staircase (see this how-to ).
To create such an object you use a box, triangle, or other object to act as the hole. Export it to an obj/mtl file. Edit the mtl file and set the transparency for the materials by adding "d 0.0" at the bottom of each material section. Save and import the object as a "Door or window" and you can create you opening.
The only other alternative is to use an elevated box as the stub wall but be aware that unfortunately a wall and box both textured with the same texture will not look the same.
[Dec 8, 2023, 7:45:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved