Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 830 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
shmuelzon

Israel
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Mapping Floor Plan Coordinates to Render/3DView Coordiantes

Hello,

I'm trying to develop a plugin and, as a part of it, I want to get the pixel location of a piece of furniture in the rendered image.
I have the X, Y and elevation of the furniture and I managed to create a rendered 3D image, but I want to find the correlation between the two.

I found the `getVirtualWorldPointAt()` of `HomeComponent3D` which I thought would do just that but it crashes when I try to call it:
HomeLight light = ...;
HomeComponent3D home3d = new HomeComponent3D(getHome());
float[] pos = home3d.getVirtualWorldPointAt((int)light.getX(), (int)light.getY(), light.getElevation());

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.swing.HomeComponent3D.getCanvas3D(Unknown Source)
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.swing.HomeComponent3D.convertPixelLocationToVirtualWorldPoint(Unknown Source)
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.swing.HomeComponent3D.getVirtualWorldPointAt(Unknown Source)

I'm new to Sweet Home 3D and it's been decades since I wrote any Java so please excuse anything stupid I've done.

Thanks in advance!
[Dec 24, 2023, 6:26:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Mapping Floor Plan Coordinates to Render/3DView Coordiantes

Are you sure that getHome() returns a valid home object?
And that light is a valid object that can return coordinates?
And that light is actually in the furniture list of the home?
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Keet at Dec 25, 2023, 9:42:55 AM]
[Dec 25, 2023, 9:40:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

getVirtualWorldPointAt can work only if HomeComponent3D in nstance is added to a container and displayed at screen.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 25, 2023, 11:03:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
shmuelzon

Israel

Hey,

Thanks for the reply!
I've used getHome() in other places to actually get the list of furniture so I assume it's fine.
Same for the light, I'm able to change it's power when rendering the image so all the instances seem valid.

Even running:
float[] pos = home3d.getVirtualWorldPointAt(40, 40, 40);

Results with the same exception, so I think something is off.
I'm not even sure if this function does what I think it does.

Thanks
[Dec 25, 2023, 12:02:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

That method returns the 3D coordinates for the given screen coordinates and elevation. From your first post I think you want the opposite. There is a method named getScreenCoordinates in the class it.ld.sh3d.Utils, you can find it in the Pan3dView plugin.
[Dec 25, 2023, 3:16:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
shmuelzon

Israel

Thanks, I found your plugin and am currently trying to understand what that function does.
From what I gather, so far, the 2D point it calculates is relative to the 3D view window, right? Meaning that if I render a high quality image with a different resolution than my current 3D view window, it won't match?
[Dec 25, 2023, 7:08:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

Yes, the output coordinates are relative to the 3D view. As long as the rendering uses the same proportions as the 3D view, computing the pixel coordinates is just a matter of applying a scaling factor (factor = render_width / view3d_width). But to cover all rendering options (different proportions, different lenses), you have to compute the right projection matrix. I think that you could find the relevant code in the classes that implement the rendering.
Once you have the projection matrix you can use it to transform 3D coordinates to screen coordinates (I remember that the official doc for Java3D has pratical examples of how it works, but any lecture about 3D projection works as well), and finally apply the scaling factor to get the exact pixel location.
I'm not sure that a projection matrix can cover spherical lenses too, but I guess that a quick web search should answer the question.
[Dec 25, 2023, 8:54:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
shmuelzon

Israel

Great, thanks for all the pointers!
I think I have enough to go on.
[Dec 26, 2023, 5:54:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
shmuelzon

Israel

Hey,

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck...
I was able to integrate the relevant parts of the Pan3dView plugin and can, accurately, get the pixel locations from the 3D view of the application but, since the rendered image might have a different aspect ratio, it doesn't help directly. I even tried to create my own Canvas3D object so I could defer those calculations to it but I wasn't able to get that to work either.

In any case, I have figured out that the SH3D's Y and Z axes are reversed, compared to the standard right-handed coordinates, so I switch between those values.
I also think that the SH3D's pitch goes in the other direction (clockwise instead of counter-clockwise) so that needs to be negated before performing the calculations.

I believe I do have the correct calculation for moving the object's location to be relative to the camera while taking the camera's position, pitch and yaw into account. For reference, this is what I have (playing around with Python, will convert to Java when it's working):
object_location = np.array([749.2, 95, -2611.5])
camera_position = np.array([602.140686, 125, -4035.214600])
yaw = 0
pitch = 0

R_yaw = np.array([
[np.cos(yaw), 0, np.sin(yaw)],
[0, 1, 0],
[-np.sin(yaw), 0, np.cos(yaw)]
])
R_pitch = np.array([
[1, 0, 0],
[0, np.cos(pitch), -np.sin(pitch)],
[0, np.sin(pitch), np.cos(pitch)]
])
R = np.dot(R_pitch, R_yaw)
object_location_cam = object_location - camera_position
object_location_cam_rotated = np.dot(R, object_location_cam)

The final part, performing the actual perspective projection, is what I'm failing at. I found online a few different variants but none have worked well for me. One of them is:
image_width = 1024
image_height = 576
near = 0.1
far = 100.0
aspect_ratio = image_width / image_height
f = 1.0 / np.tan(fov / 2)
projection_matrix = np.array([
[f / aspect_ratio, 0, 0, 0],
[0, f, 0, 0],
[0, 0, -far / (far - near), (-far * near) / (far - near)],
[0, 0, -1, 0]
])
point_4d = np.append(object_location_cam_rotated, 1)
projected_point_4d = np.dot(projection_matrix, point_4d)
normalized_point = projected_point_4d[:3] / projected_point_4d[3]
x_pixel = int((normalized_point[0] * 0.5 + 0.5) * image_width)
y_pixel = int((1 - (normalized_point[1] * 0.5 + 0.5)) * image_height)

The other is:
image_width = 1024
image_height = 576
x_proj = (object_location_cam_rotated[0] / object_location_cam_rotated[2]) * (image_width / (2 * np.tan(fov / 2)))
y_proj = (object_location_cam_rotated[1] / object_location_cam_rotated[2]) * (image_height / (2 * np.tan(fov / 2)))
x_pixel = int(image_width / 2 - x_proj)
y_pixel = int(image_height / 2 - y_proj)

For the above example, I've rendered the image and the object in question appears at pixel (426, 303). The first calculation results with (463, 278) while the second comes very close with (425, 297).

I then proceeded with testing a different scenario with:
object_location = np.array([1009.1, 0, -1071.6])
camera_position = np.array([3216.203613, 125, -1513.119751])
yaw = np.radians(90)
pitch = 0

Here I expect the pixel to be located at (375, 334) but the first method returns (417, 261) and the second (344, 314).
Can anyone suggest a projection matrix / calculation that's similar to the SH3D's renderers?

Thanks again!
[Jan 13, 2024, 11:41:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

Don't reinvent the wheel, the code to compute the projection matrix for specific render settings are in the rendering classes. You can look at, for example, SunFlow renderer:
https://sourceforge.net/p/sweethome3d/code/HE...d/PhotoRenderer.java#l601
[Jan 13, 2024, 7:26:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved