Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 392 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
kentenn

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
3D Error Causing Program to Close Itself

I have been using SweetHome3D for about a year now with very few glitches. Today when I opened my house plan on my home computer, I got the following message:

3D Error
Sweet Home 3D will exit now because of a fatal error in the 3D rendering system of your computer. Please update the DirectX/OpenGL drivers of your computer graphics card.

On the error pop-up, you can click OK or click the X to close the pop-up. Either way, SH3D closes.

This renders the program unusable at a time when I have framers working on the interior framing and we are needing to adjust some wall positions.

My house plan is stored on OneDrive, and I have alternated between editing it on my work PC and my home PC. My first thought when this error appeared was that I had updated to the latest version of SH3D at work but not at home. So I installed the latest version on my home computer and tried again. Same error.

Restarted computer. Same error.

Opened SH3D without a house plan file (Untitled). Also tried opening various house plan files from the past. Same error, so the problem is apparently not related to the file.

I downloaded the driver for my Intel graphics card from Intel's website and installed it. Same error.

I am running Window 10 Pro 64-bit on an older PC that was upgraded from Windows 7 a couple years ago.

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics, which I think is not a separate graphics card but is built into the processor, Intel Core i5-2400S CPU @ 2.50 GHz

250 GB SSD drive, which is about 40% full.

6GB RAM

I'm not thinking of anything that might have changed on my computer that could be causing this error.

Would someone have any insight for me? Any help will be much appreciated!
[Jan 9, 2024, 2:04:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Re: 3D Error Causing Program to Close Itself

The fact that you could open it with the original version, and suddenly couldn't makes me think that windows installed a gfx driver update in one of it's system updates. It has installed an up-to-date Intel driver, which is newly broken, and by you installing one from Intel, you have just installed the latest broken one again. You could try looking through system logs looking for a culprit update, but that might be outside your comfort zone - hard to tell for sure from what you wrote.

My suggestion to you is to look on the Intel site for older releases of the gfx drivers, and step back through them, downgrading your drivers in search of a working set.

Additionally, if you have access to your work PC, what gfx setup does it have, and what version of the drivers? Typically business systems get older more tested versions of drivers, and the IT department control the rollout pace. If it is also Intel gfx, you could compare the driver version numbers to help you understand how far back you need to go on your home PC.
[Jan 9, 2024, 4:49:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kentenn

USA

Thank you, sjb. I will try to check into your suggestions when I get home.
[Jan 9, 2024, 8:04:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kentenn

USA

Sweet Home 3D is working again, and as best I can tell, the solution was to uninstall the program and reinstall the 32-bit version. I had previously been running the 64-bit version (for the last 12 months or so) because I assumed that was the appropriate version to match my 64-bit Windows installation. So at this point I still don't know what suddenly made the program complain about graphics and stop working.

As sjb suggested, I looked through my Windows Update history, including driver updates, and could not identify anything that would have happened between when Sweet Home was working and when it stopped working.

I also downloaded and installed Java since I noticed references to Java in other posts on the forum. This did not seem to make any difference, so I will probably uninstall Java again.
[Jan 10, 2024, 11:36:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kentenn

USA

What I meant to say was that I installed Java and the program still did not work. This was prior to reinstalling as 32-bit.
[Jan 10, 2024, 11:38:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved