Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 723 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Peppyy

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
I have been building models .obj

So having looked everywhere for certain models for a specific build, I decided to learn Blender. For instance. I have 3 hydronic heaters I am gong to use in the project. I created them and exported them and they work great in sh3d. Now I want to offer them to anyone who would like them. Hopefully I read the posting forum correctly. https://www.mediafire.com/file/stwjingq0f0uzvd/modine-hot-water.obj/file
I believe there is no more hotlinking on mediafire and it now requires free accounts to only use a download link.

Please let me know if this works. Thanks.
----------------------------------------
Who said you can't do it.
I don't listen to Who anymore.
[Jan 12, 2024, 1:54:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: I have been building models .obj

Thanks for sharing this model. The best place to post them is at http://sourceforge.net/p/sweethome3d/d-models/
And don't forget to provide the MTL file with the OBJ file to get accurate colors.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 12, 2024, 2:03:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

That's a good model.
Some remarks to help you create better models for Sweet Home 3D:
• The size when importing is too small. This is caused by different standards between Blender and Sweet Home 3D (mm vs. cm). Use the resize option in the import wizard or resize after import, then export again with the correct Sweet Home 3D size.
• The frame and the back overlap at the back of the top which can cause inaccurate coloring. Look at the back of the top when you rotate the model in Sweet Home 3D, you will see some shimmering where two faces at the same position fight to be displayed. Make the back side a little smaller than the outside frame to avoid this.
• Assign meaningful names for the materials. This is easy while you're still in Blender.
• Don't forget to include the .mtl file. Most users don't know how to create one using the .obj file. Sweet Home 3D does create an .mtl file when you export but it doesn't have all the materials from the .obj file when it was imported without an .mtl file.
• Zip the .obj and .mtl file together for download. Sweet Home 3D can import the zip file without having to extract the model first.
• For this model not really important but when you create more complex models you can decrease the model size by removing faces that you can't see anyway. For example where the side of a box fully touches another part the side face that is hidden can be removed without changing the model. If you can do this with multiple faces it will decrease the model size and increase loading time.
• You can use the 'Smooth' option in Blender to make the back cylinder look more smoothly round.

No need for registration on mediafire for just downloading.
[Jan 12, 2024, 2:39:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Peppyy

USA

Thanks for the input. Having just started with both programs I have realized that I a long way to go. I had the model without the mount and was happy enough that I imported it into my plans. Somehow I managed to delete the original blender file when cleaning up some leftover practice files.
I imported the .obj back into blender to work on it and a lot of the separate items were now joined. like, the motor, core and louvers were now all one piece. I need to pay more attention to my clearances. I also usually leave most of the color out in blender unless it is something I need to make the object non-transparent like the heater core in this example. Most models are easily modified in sh3d although they can have a lot of parts.

I find a lot of .obj models I import are much smaller when imported into sh3d. I should learn more about the scaling of the 2 programs and how they interact with each other. I use feet, inches and fractions in sh3d. They all seem to scale just fine. I hadn't thought about including the .mtl file until you mentioned it. I am still really new at all this 3d stuff.
[Jan 13, 2024, 2:59:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Peppyy

USA

Well, we had a nasty storm so I got to play inside today and worked on the Modine Model. I only had one issue naming one part correctly for the properties in Modify Furniture. I zipped it with the .mtl file and have uploaded it here https://www.mediafire.com/file/lk4qe9j78n5kd4k/Hot-Water-Modine.zip/file

Feel free to try it out and see if I got it right. The 8 in modify materials list is the motor mount that I couldn't seem to change the name of.

I also have no clue how to include any information about the creator and rights, I just hope that someone will need it and use it.
[Jan 13, 2024, 7:49:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Peppyy

USA

Now posted to https://sourceforge.net/p/sweethome3d/d-models/694/ I see there have been 11 downloads from mediafire so hopefully it is something people can use wink
[Jan 14, 2024, 10:41:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Great ob! Much better than the first try.
To change the '8' material:
Replace all lines "usemtl 8" in the obj file with "usemtl <yourname>". (There are two of them.)
Replace "newmtl 8" in the mtl file with "newmtl <yourname>".
[Jan 15, 2024, 6:18:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Peppyy

USA

Thanks Keet. I didn't realize there were 2 files I had to edit. I tried the mtl file but I havent even looked at an obj file yet. I will have a look.

I added another model of a 120 degree shelf unit I made for the corner of the hexagon buildings too.
[Jan 15, 2024, 1:12:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Peppyy

USA

Updated 1/17/24 https://sourceforge.net/p/sweethome3d/d-models/694/#12dd
[Jan 17, 2024, 4:25:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved