Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 799 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
mmo18

Switzerland
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
sad Trying to dock back a popped out 3D view causes program to hang/crash

To have a better overview I had "popped out" the 3D view ("3D view --> Display in separate Window").

But when I try to move it back (3D view --> "Display in same Window") the program always stalls, i.e. it becomes non-reactive. The menu bar gets grayed out. When I change window size it does not get redrawn, it hangs and is simply dead!

The only way to "re-animate" things is killing it via the Windows task manager and restart the program. But apparently it memorizes the fact that the 3D view was popped out and re-opens it again in a separate window right after restart. And if one tries to move it back to the home windows it hangs again! Start-over! :-(

So, do I how have to live with two windows from now on? What can I do to get that 3D Windows back into the main window gracefully?
[Feb 2, 2024, 7:33:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Trying to dock back a popped out 3D view causes program to hang/crash

The detached view setting is stored in the .sh3d file. Because of that I assume that you only have the problem with one specific home?

If it is indeed only one specific .sh3d file you can fix that by editing the Home.xml file. This file is located in the .sh3d file which is a zip file that you should be able to open with any archive manager.
The line in the Home.xml file that you should edit is located close to the top:
<property name='com.eteks.sweethome3d.swing.HomeComponent3D.detachedView' value='true'/>

Change value='true' to value='false'.

There are probable five more lines after that line concerning the detachedView. They don't matter if the detachedView is set to false. Maybe one of the values in those is the cause of the problem and they should be reset if you detach again.

On my Linux system I can edit the Home.xml file while still in the zip and after saving it updates the .sh3d file. If that is not true on your system you will have to extract the .sh3d file to a folder, edit the Home.xml file and re-zip. Rename the .zip to .sh3d and it should be good.
[Feb 2, 2024, 9:32:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jschlosser

This has been a problem for me for years even on different computers and upgrades. I just bought it from Microsoft and same problem. If the 3d view is touched at all, the program hangs and has to be closed through the Task Manager. When it opens, it opens with the 3d window separate and gray. I can work on it online but I need to be able to work locally and especially depend on having the 3d modelling available. I don't want to have to learn a new application but I am about to give up now that I NEED to be able to do this.
[Feb 7, 2024, 5:10:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks for buying Sweet Home 3D but you shouldn't have expected that it would fix your issue. Bug fixes are not charged! Imagine how users of the free version would feel if it was the case!
Does the 3D view work correctly when you reattach to the main window, save your file and then relaunch the program?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 15, 2024, 1:04:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mmo18

Switzerland

Thanks for the instructions. Now it's working again. I will avoid popping it out again for now. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Thanks!
[Feb 15, 2024, 9:42:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved