Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 17
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 463 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
MartinH81

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Is there a plugin to measure things in aerial view?

I have a problem that I have to fill a non-perpendicular hole in a wall and all I have is what I can see in the aerial view. I could of course design a 3d shape with a plugin, but for that I would need to measure what I can see in the aerial view.
[Feb 17, 2024, 8:57:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Is there a plugin to measure things in aerial view?

From version 7.2, you can create dimensions visible in the 3D view, and there's an option to create elevation dimensions.
Hope this will help...
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 17, 2024, 9:21:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MartinH81

Hi

I am using version 7.2. Then I have to find out how to create dimensions in the 3D view.
[Feb 17, 2024, 1:29:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Follow the link in my previous answer.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 17, 2024, 1:40:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MartinH81

Oh sorry, I was imprecise.

Look here:

I have a few dormers, but no side wall for them. An the walls/sides/whatever have the shape of a triangle, but not a perpendicular one. And I do not know the measures and also I cannot get them from the pane with the view from above. But I see the open dormers in the 3D aerial view. What I meant was, if I could some set points there in order to get the measures.
[Feb 17, 2024, 2:20:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

I would suggest the 3D dimension lines plugin, it allows to measure the distance between generic points in space.
[Feb 17, 2024, 5:13:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I have a few dormers, but no side wall for them. An the walls/sides/whatever have the shape of a triangle, but not a perpendicular one. And I do not know the measures and also I cannot get them from the pane with the view from above. But I see the open dormers in the 3D aerial view. What I meant was, if I could some set points there in order to get the measures.
You do have references for the points, but it will require some calculating to get the exact points.
For example your dormer roof has a size and position. Using those numbers you can calculate the dormer-roof bottom-corners on one side (front and back) and it's elevation. That are two points you need, these are the right side top line of the wall.
The front bottom point you can calculate using the dormer front wall. And the back lower point depends on where you want it. Close to the back top point?
When you have those 4 points you can use the Generate 3D Shape tool. Use the 4 points you have for 6,7,2,3 and use the same points but a wall thickness to the left for the other points. That should give you the wall you need. And as long as you don't quit Sweet Home 3D the last numbers will be preserved so that when you start the tool again the numbers are still there. That is convenient when you decide to change one or more points.
The funny thing is that if you entered the numbers you got from the house the shape will be generated in the place where it was calculated from.
You don't have to be very precise since it's no problem if a little of the top sticks inside the dormer roof, as long as it doesn't stick out above.

Some points to get you started:
Take the dormer roof. It's an object so it has an X/Y position for its center and an elevation (Z).
point 7: The right front bottom corner is X+(half the roof width), Y+(half the roof depth), Z = the elavation.
point 6: The right back bottom corner is X-(half the roof width), Y-(half the roof depth), Z = elavation+(roof height-roof thicknes)
point 3: same X and Y as point 7, for Z you place a little box iside the dormer where the wall must start. Change it's height until you get to the point where the top of the box is where you want the bottom of the wall to start. That height is your Z.
point 2: X is the same as point 6 but with a little lower Z.

For the other points use the same values but decrease the X value with the wall thickness you want.

It does sound kind of complex but when you dive into it it's not so bad. You can see the preview of the shape in the generator so you can see what it looks like and adjust where you think it is needed.
[Feb 17, 2024, 6:14:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MartinH81

Sounds good, but where do I get it? At least I do not see it at http://www.sweethome3d.com/plugins.jsp
[Feb 17, 2024, 6:15:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

The second one in the list or through this page: http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,6600
[Feb 17, 2024, 6:25:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MartinH81

Hi Keet

1. Thanks for your explaination and
2. this was a funny misunderstanding. We kind of wrote at the same time and my question for the plugin concerned Daniels118's comment about the 3D dimension lines plugin. :)
[Feb 17, 2024, 8:15:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved