Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 17
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 459 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Is there a plugin to measure things in aerial view?

You should install the Plugin Manager: https://sourceforge.net/p/sweethome3d/plug-ins/44/?page=1#23da
The most recent version is 1.5.3.
After install it will update itself and you can install, remove, and update other plugins much easier.
[Feb 17, 2024, 8:39:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MartinH81

This looks good. Where does this manager get its plugin sources from? I mean, when it is a central point to find plugins, then it will aggregate from more sources than the sh3d homepage. And who checks that the plugins from other sources do not contain any malicious code? Just want to be on the secure side.
[Feb 18, 2024, 9:07:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

The plugins come from Daniele's website http://daniels118.altervista.org where the plugin manager is hosted. I'm not sure if there are mirrors, I'll let Daniele (the developer) explain that.
[Feb 18, 2024, 9:50:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

You could choose what ever solution which fit your needs.
My opinion from what I've seen you need only some sloping walls to fill the gaps under the sloping roofs of the dormers.
Probably you also want some triangular space (holes) at the base of this sloping walls.
You could see this how_to_create_a_hole_at_the_bottom_of_a_wall
Usually I don't replace a wall or a room with other objects if is not strictly necessary.
For calculations you could read and use this Space under roof .
For only the vertical dimensions now you could use the actual elevation dimension line. In the past I've used a vertical ruler.
If you need some other kind of measurement (inclined) you don't have another tool than 3D Dimensions provided by Daniels118.
----------------------------------------
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Feb 18, 2024, 7:06:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

The plugin manager reads the list of the available plugins from my own website. The website hosts just the list of the plugins (along with some details such as description, available languages, and so on), while the plugins binaries are hosted on sweethome3d.com or sourceforge.com. The list is downloaded from the following url that you can see (and change) from the settings of the plugin manager:
https://daniels118.altervista.org/sh3d/pluginmanager/plugins.xml

Any plugin developer can get an account on my website to manage his own plugins, BUT the binaries MUST be hosted on sweethome3d.com (official plugins made by PUYBARET) or sourceforge.com (3rd parties), there is no chance that they come from other sources. Actually there are just 2 developers (other than me) who maintain their plugins, the rest is managed by me.

About security, the plugins that you download using the plugin manager are as secure as the ones that you may download from the respective sources.
The real question should be: how can I trust a software that I haven't written with my own hands? Who tells me that the plugin, the main software, or even the operating system I'm working on, don't send my credit card numbers to the developer? There are 2 cases:
- With proprietary software, the assurance comes from the fact that the organization that sell the software can be pursued by law if developers put malicious code in their software, so large organizations tend to make internal security controls on the software they release.
- With open source software, any person capable of reading the code can check if the software contains malicious code. Of course, such people should check that the compiled binaries distributed don't contain hidden code that isn't shown in the released sources. People that aren't able to read the code should count on the fact that others could have done this before. Moreover, a developer who wants to spread malicois code won't be so stupid to put his real name and his face on the web, so if you can check the identity of the account that distributes the software, he is most likely acting good.

By the way, I can assure that my programs have no malicous code and I have great respect for privacy, but I give no guarantee about the other plugins downloaded through the plugin manager. I make no security check on the plugins made by other developers, you install them at your own risk (sounds ugly, but that's the truth).

My recommendations are:
- never run software that you don't trust with admin privileges;
- use a good antivirus.
[Feb 18, 2024, 9:33:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

If you want a mirror for the plugins.xml PM me.
[Feb 19, 2024, 10:43:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MartinH81

Thank you all!
[Feb 19, 2024, 11:46:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved