Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 214 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
ArtOfHome

Italy
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Draw False Ceiling

Currently, I create false ceilings using a box positioned at a certain height and inserting lights. All in all, it works fine, although for rooms that don't have a regular shape, I have to create multiple boxes to make curves and indentations. It would be useful to have a tool similar to the one used for flooring to draw boxes... perhaps even magnetized.
[Feb 19, 2024, 11:16:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Draw False Ceiling

That's easy: export the floor to an object and import it. This will give you an object that you can elevate to the false ceiling height in exactly the same shape as the floor. Make sure that the floor you export is on a level with level elevation >0 and switch off display ceiling. After import you can adjust the height like any other object. It is initialy created with the floor thickness as the height.

Using a floor also makes it easy to create a hole in it if you need it somewhere: use an object that is a staircase that will create the hole before you export the floor.

edit: "floor" == room
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Keet at Feb 19, 2024, 11:32:02 AM]
[Feb 19, 2024, 11:30:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ArtOfHome

Italy

The "trick" of creating another level and then exporting the floor, etc., is cumbersome anyway. If I have to modify the false ceilings by a few centimeters, I still have to re-export... A tool that draws a cube as you wish with all the angles you need would be very useful. You draw and adjust as you see fit... just like you do with the floor :)
[Feb 19, 2024, 11:50:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

That cube you want to draw with all angles IS the floor (room). You can draw a room by hand by moving and adding points. If you draw a 'cube' you need to export/import it too to clean it up with nice material names. Exporting a room is the same. The only consideration is that you have to have a thickness. A room at level 0 without a level below doesn't have a thickness. And you have to switch of the ceiling display. Still very easy since you can create the shape using walls and fill it in with a room. Much easier than drawing by hand, especially when you need curves.

If you want the ceiling a little scaled down from the room you can use the scale function that comes with the Advanced Edit plugin.

Another nice trick to have the ceiling a little smaller than the room is to make the walls around the room thicker and then double click to fill in a room for export. Then reset the walls to their previous thickness.

Remember, a square room exported IS a kind of cube. Both are objects with eight corners and only differ in the name they are given. After export you can rename the room 'cube' or 'box' if you wanted to.
[Feb 19, 2024, 12:35:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I don't know if you'll like this solution, but when I designed level management, I thought about false ceiling and proposed this solution.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 19, 2024, 1:50:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved