Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 250 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
archibaldtuttle

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
getting the level on levels

I am making a plan in which the first level of a building drops a couple of feet a couple times as the property goes downhill and subsequent additions were built slab on grade below the original house.

i created additional levels and set the elevation lower, i.e. with a minus sign, from the original. the top of the walls drops accordingly but the floor does not. so suddenly 8' walls look like 6' walls. from the outside the whole thing looks like it is sitting on a foundation at the level of the original house.

but the drawing knows that the floor level is lower. when you put in furniture or stairs it creates a whole in the floor and they are set at the actual floor level. i would include a screen snap but i forget you have to have some kind of picture hosting site to put a photo link here. i'm used to forums where i just upload an .png or .jpg so i'm behind the time (what else is new).

it also appears that level 0 is maybe a master level where all levels are visible and addressable. so i probably should take all the stuff from level 0 where i started with the old house and put it on another level.

there is a floor thickness command which i guess is meant to substitute for joist and flooring thickness? I tend to actually make another level that is the floor framing and then I can have a plan with floor joists in it. (that requires a step and repeat command I haven't found yet. I usually create a floor joist as a wall having 1.5" thickness and say 9.25" height for a 2x10 and then create a number of repeats pasted at 16" intervals typically).

in general i'm used to being able to set the z starting point of elements which doesn't seem to be a thing in vectorworks which is another way to address a few errant elements that don't really require another layer. whoops, vectorworks language.

thanks for getting me on the level with and thoughts/tips

brian
[Feb 21, 2024, 2:41:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: getting the level on levels

It probably has to do with the numbers you are using.
Read up on levels here: https://sweethome3d.com/userGuide.jsp#addingLevels
and here for levels below 0: https://www.sweethome3d.com/blog/2022/04/21/h...basement_to_a_design.html

Floor thickness is exactly what it says: the thickness of the floor. The lowest level has a floor thickness of 0. You can see that because the setting in the modify level dialog is grayed out.
[Feb 21, 2024, 2:53:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

You have to draw a room in the lower floor to get a hole in the ground.
Otherwise walls are just buried in the ground.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 21, 2024, 4:05:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
archibaldtuttle

United States

@puybaret

thanks. that absolutely works in the rooms and it worked quickly where I made one room encompassing several actual rooms, but the walls are still truncated from the outside of the building. I tried including the exterior walls in the room I drew. that didn't help.

but i'm n90% of the way there from the suggestion you made. didn't even know there was such a thing as a "room".
[Feb 21, 2024, 6:04:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved