Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 332 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Peppyy

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
How complex a model is too much?

I love being able to edit models, so I create them with a lot of materials. That being said, I think I may overcomplicate them. For our building I am designing, I created a custom sink for the honey house. I believe that everything that can be modified is well labeled, but is it too much?

I have 21 parts that can be edited in the furniture editor. You can download it here if you are interested.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/85an8qll63pofyf/shop_sink.zip/file

Just wanted to clarify before I submit it to models.

Thanks.
----------------------------------------
Who said you can't do it.
I don't listen to Who anymore.
[Feb 24, 2024, 3:24:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: How complex a model is too much?

Nothing shocking on my side. Maybe the left and right faucets could use some common materials, but this is not really a problem (and maybe you had an idea in mind by using different materials).
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 24, 2024, 3:32:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Peppyy

USA

Thanks. I have several ideas and have tried some of them. I think the only common materials I used were the doors and the side panels. On to the next smaller projects while I save up for a better graphics card. At least I finally got the knack of naming the materials correctly.
[Feb 24, 2024, 5:07:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I really doesn't matter. The only thing that is important is that you like your model.

Many details result in a larger size object. Larger means more complex to render a phone, the 3Dview, and virtual display if you want to show a home with html5 export. As long as everything 'moves' there's no problem.

I am currently in the process of modifying dozens and dozens of models I created to simplify them. Not necessarily to remove details, but removing as many faces that you can't see anyway from all objects.
Why? Because I ran into the problem of impossible display in a html5 viewer export. I work with very large projects and even without complex objects like trees it wouldn't move.... on a very fast machine.
So far I managed to decrease almost all objects to around one third(!) of their original size without giving up any details. I must admit that I usually don't add details that you won't see anyway considering the size of my projects.

So what does this mean? Simply that you can add as much detail as you want but try to remove all sides of boxes and shapes (make them invisible) that you can't see anyway because they are against each other. By making them invisible they will not be exported and you get an object with a smaller size that still looks the same.
(I currently go a little step further by using Blender to remove or merge faces to even further decrease the face count.)

Have fun creating your models!
[Feb 24, 2024, 6:20:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Peppyy

USA

I have been using Blender to create all my models. I have found with my old GPU that when something gets slow in Blender it is usually getting too complex. My problem is that I tend to even put "The guts" in things that aren't going to be seen in SH3D. I also find that when I export them to obj from SH3D, they tend to become one object instead of all the individual parts when opened in Blender.

I recently made a model of a "through the wall" heated cabinet for honey storage. Since it had a window on one side, I thought I would add a couple of jars of honey on the shelves inside. I even put our custom labels on the jars. Although it looks amazing, it takes a lot of rendering time and slows things down considerably. I also played with some light panels on the inside walls to illuminate the jars to get an idea of what it would really look like. With that, I have decided a couple screenshots would suffice to show them to the wife. It is here if you want to see it. https://www.mediafire.com/view/iucry8msj3cd4m0/test-sun.png/file and a different view here. https://www.mediafire.com/view/6qs71bsr849kr6...affa-920-am-wide.png/file

Once I get my new GPU installed and cables for the monitor, I will try another walkthrough.
[Mar 3, 2024, 3:32:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

When you export a model in Sweet Home 3D it will only have groups (g lines) not objects (o lines). You acn import an OBJ file with only objects and no groups but when you export it again those objects will be groups.
In Blender you can choose if you want to import objects, groups, or both. The same for export. Set the preferences you want before exporting from Blender.
I use this to merge groups; add an o line at the top of the Sweet Home 3D exported model, import in Blender with only objects, not groups, and export from Blender. All groups will be merged into a single group per material.

This recent thread has excellent advise from Emmanuel about how to optimize models for faster rendering: https://sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,13005
The thread also explains the differences between Sweet Home 3D and Blender exports.
[Mar 3, 2024, 3:52:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Peppyy

USA

Thank you Keet. Something new to learn every day ;)
[Mar 4, 2024, 4:10:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved