Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4635 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
AndrewFR

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Strange issues in importing furniture

First of all, a big hello to anyone, I'm new on this forum, and a big thank you to all the developers of this beautiful program. :)and please excuse me for my english, I'm from Italy

Now: I made some forniture using Zmodeler (A free program for making 3d objects) and exporting as 3ds. The problem is that, no matters what texture or material I assign them, in Sweet Home 3d all the objects are very reflective. (in the attached image, the top of that drawer is a simple flat red material and the drawers themselves are made with a wood material, but they show like they're in the same material and are very reflective)
The same thing happens when I create them with 3d studio Max 6 (the one I own.) Does anybody know any solution to this?

I tried also Art Of Illusion, exporting .obj files but the materials don't show correctly in Sweet Home. Ex I tried to import the hourglass in the Aol tutorial, but the glass bulb was not transparent...

What is the best method to create good materials for Sweet Home 3d?

Thanks in advance to all :)
[Jan 27, 2010, 10:55:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Strange issues in importing furniture

Andrew:

First of all: your English is excellent, so don't worry. It's certainly much better than my Italian :-)

3DS and OBJ are rather common format "languages" for 3d-objects. And, as with any language, there are many dialects. Not every program interprets or uses the grammar/syntax in exactly the same way, and this causes differences in the way objects are represented between programs.

Common problems with 3DS are loss of texture, wrongly placed faces/parts of objects, and more. Common OBJ problems are loss of texture, incorrect transparency, placing textures on the wrong side of a face, and more.

There is not one solution for all of these problems. But because there are many people with similar problems (including myself) I shall give a few solutions that work for me.

1 - Use SH3D - Personally I try to make most of my furniture in SH3D itself, then exporting it as an OBJ-file and importing it again. Advantage: it works 100%. Disadvantage: you are limited to the possibilities of SH3D.
2 - Use AoI - Nice program, but very complex to make and apply textures (in my opinion). I translated and updated a manual/tutorial which is still being reviewed by Emmanuel. I can send you an early version if you like.
3 - Use Misfit Model 3D - Also open source, but (in my opinion) easier to use than AoI. It certainly is much easier to make and apply textures. You can save or export OBJ files that you can import in SH3D without any problem. I wrote a very-very short tutorial (there's no tutorial on the website) which I can also send, if you like.
4 - Use a combination of AoI and MM3D - This combination is rather nice. I find editing in AoI easier, and it draws meshes in a different (better?) way than MM3D. I then apply textures in MM3D.
5 - Blender - Also open source. The user interface is far too complex for my taste, so I don't like to use this program. But is has the advantage that it can import and export around 20 different file types. A good use for Blender is to import a 3DS fiel and then export it as an OBJ file. Sometimes this solves a problem without any further changes.
6 - Text editor - Some OBJ file problems with materials/textures are best (or at least very fast) solved using a text editor. Use it to open the MTL file. You can then easily change a few details like the path to your JPG/PNG texture picture, the transparency, the illumination etc.

Hopefully this is of any help to you. Good luck,

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jan 27, 2010, 11:53:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
AndrewFR

Thanks, very very useful informations :) I'll give a try to all of them as soon as possible. Can you please give me the tutorials you are talking about? obviously when youhave finished them ;)

Thank you very much in advance
[Jan 27, 2010, 1:19:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

If a 3DS file you imported in Sweet Home 3D is too shiny, here's a tip that will work in current version: export it at OBJ format in Sweet Home 3D, edit the MTL file to decrease the Ns value and import again the OBJ file.
For your information, a material with a value smaller than 64 is never shiny in the 2 best qualities of the photo renderer.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 27, 2010, 6:11:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
AndrewFR

I hope this wouldn't be impossible (I'm not a programmer): Maybe a "Material Editor" in the future version of Sweet Home?
[Feb 4, 2010, 10:59:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
stefanofbb

Hi to everybody
this is my first post, first off all sorry for my English

I have been using SwH3D since last week and I think it's so cool.
I'm planning my new house and this software is very helpful and powerful.
I think for a new release it could be fantist to have a "texture/material" editor to selectivley modify the obhects directly from SwH3D.

I'm tring to use Misfit Model 3D to solve this problem, could someone send me the tutorial?
[Jul 29, 2010, 5:42:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Stefan:

Did you try the Misfit homepage ?

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Jul 29, 2010, 6:56:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
stefanofbb

in the previuos post I read that Hansmex prepared a little tutorial in the past, it will be very useful to have it.
[Jul 30, 2010, 9:16:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Stefano:

It's hardly a manual, just 1 page. See the attached OpenOffice file.

Hans
Attachment manual Misfit3D.odt (31911 bytes) (Download count: 516)

Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hansmex at Jul 30, 2010, 10:06:16 AM]
[Jul 30, 2010, 10:03:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
stefanofbb

Thank you, it could help, is more than nothing.
Best regards.
[Aug 2, 2010, 8:01:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved