Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 129 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
A.D.STUDIO

Australia
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
X/Y Axis?

I'm wondering why I can't rotate an object on both its X- and Y-axis.
[May 29, 2024, 2:55:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: X/Y Axis?

Because it’s generally too complex to guess the result of two rotations.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[May 29, 2024, 4:33:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

Not ALL but furniture EXCEPT doors, windows and staircases.
Could be rotated on X, Y & Z axis.
Look at the piano .
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[May 29, 2024, 5:00:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Because it’s generally too complex to guess the result of two rotations.
Mmmm, "guess"? smile

Separately the X and Y calculations are possible. Perform the Y calculation on the result of the X-calculation. You already have the code for both calculations. The only difference is that the Y calculation is done on the in-memory result of the X calculation. Or am I thinking too simple here?
That's basically what I do when needed: set the X angle, export, import, set the Y angle.
[May 29, 2024, 5:29:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

I'm sorry!
You've right, I'm wrong!
When set X the Y become 0 and the opposite. Only Z (Angle) keep the value.
So, my answer is wrong. Sorry!
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[May 29, 2024, 6:45:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
A.D.STUDIO

Australia

Thanks for the replies. Is there some technical reason why not? There's definitely use cases for it. I have a trapezoidal shaped box, need to lean it on its side and angle it up (it's an audio foldback wedge). Can't do it.

@Keet: are you saying I can set one axis, export and import and it's normalised at that position, then set the other axis? As a workaround...
[May 30, 2024, 1:11:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

@Keet: are you saying I can set one axis, export and import and it's normalised at that position, then set the other axis? As a workaround...
Yes, that is what I do when I need a tilt on both X and Y. I first do one, export, import, and then do the other. It's not perfect because you have to export and import but the result is what you want with both tilts.
[May 30, 2024, 7:38:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Is there some technical reason why not?
It's not a technical reason, it's for ergonomics reasons. Sweet Home 3D audience targets also people who don't understand how orientation around 3 axes work, moreover since these operations are not commutative.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[May 30, 2024, 8:52:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
A.D.STUDIO

Australia

OK – I'd err on the side of offering complete functionality as opposed to crippling it to cater for the lowest common denominator, I don't think there's ever a good case for going that way. I think the picture you show of the three axes is pretty clear, too.
[May 30, 2024, 8:56:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved