Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12842 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Wishlist SH3D v4

WISHLIST SH3D v4

Let me start with some small changes that make life a bit easier:

- do not include floor when exporting OBJ
- do not restart texture on wall with every door or window
- install everything in one directory (easier back-up)
- let user choose installation directory (makes it possible to have different versions on computer)
- no maximum elevation
- auto-save feature
- allow re-organization of standard libraries
- allow deleting standard furniture items one by one
- give virtual visitor fixed size, independent of zooming in or out
- when dragging an object into the design you first have to de-select it before you can edit its properties; right-clicking on the inserted object now opens the “import furniture” window; this often leads to unexpected crashes
- when importing textures allow both values to be larger than 999

And of course there are a few things that probably are not so easy to change or make:

- put floors and walls in the parts list; ideally, make it possible to switch between the furniture list and the walls list
- change the tab-order in the colour picker so that it goes HSV and then RGB (and not HR-SG-VB); also highlight the values when tabbing to make changing them easier (if possible; maybe this depends on the operating system?)
- add layers
- add the possibility to export as “zip” (in the file menu); saves doing it by hand
- make it possible to organise and browse textures in the same way as furniture
- multiple cameras instead of just one
- a solution to “make light”; illumination now doesn't give light: the renderer uses standard settings to light the scene; it would be great to be able to control the individual lighting of the lamps used, and give the scene a more realistic appearance
- better render engine(s)
- in “Modify Furniture” you can check “visible”; ideally there would be two check boxes here: “visible on plan” and “visible in 3D”
- z-axis rotation for furniture
- z-axis rotation for walls; make it possible to make “leaning walls”; not all houses have vertical walls only
- doors and windows that adapt automatically to sloping walls and become sloping as well
- insert multiple objects on top of each other in walls

That's it for today :-)

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Mar 7, 2010, 2:45:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Wishlist SH3D v4

Version 4! It's far away! biggrin

But in a way you're not wrong to bypass v3, because Sweet Home 3D will probably jump from version 2.x directly to version 4.x, with no version 3.x. Sweet Home 3D 3.0 with two 3 digits looks too strange... wink

I'll probably create a plug-in for that in the coming weeks. It's easier for me than adding an option in save dialog.

Hum, I think you missed I already fixed that one.

- let user choose installation directory (makes it possible to have different versions on computer)

This comes with portability which should be available as an option.
But the fact that files are separated can be nice too when you upgrade from on version to the other.

- no maximum elevation

I increased the maximum elevation to 25m in the coming version.
Going higher lets appear too many black zones at the horizon.

- auto-save feature

Without blocking current user input? wink

Not so easy (that's why it's not available yet).

That could be an option, but I'm not sure it's so useful.
The size of the visitor in the current version is supposed to be proportional to his height, and this should help users to place enough space around furniture.

- when dragging an object into the design you first have to de-select it before you can edit its properties; right-clicking on the inserted object now opens the “import furniture” window; this often leads to unexpected crashes

I think this is a focus management issue (the catalog keeps the focus once you dropped the piece and right clicking doesn't transfer focus to the view where you clicked).
Note that if you double-click on the piece added to the plan, it works correctly.

What max value would you like?

- put floors and walls in the parts list; ideally, make it possible to switch between the furniture list and the walls list

What columns would you see in that list?

- change the tab-order in the colour picker so that it goes HSV and then RGB (and not HR-SG-VB); also highlight the values when tabbing to make changing them easier (if possible; maybe this depends on the operating system?)

I'm not the programmer of the colour picker, and miserably it's not easy to change its behavior, but I'll try to improve that.

- add layers

I'm still not convinced by this feature. sad

- add the possibility to export as “zip” (in the file menu); saves doing it by hand

What would be the difference with Save and compress?

This should be included in a v5 wishlist! wink

- a solution to “make light”; illumination now doesn't give light: the renderer uses standard settings to light the scene; it would be great to be able to control the individual lighting of the lamps used, and give the scene a more realistic appearance

Lights management can be improved only if rendering engines can handle them easily.

- in “Modify Furniture” you can check “visible”; ideally there would be two check boxes here: “visible on plan” and “visible in 3D”

Why not...

I think you mean horizontal axis. I have to study that. As rotations around multiple axis is not a commutative operation, I'm not sure it would be always so simple to use.

- z-axis rotation for walls; make it possible to make “leaning walls”; not all houses have vertical walls only

Leaning walls can also be seen as sloping ceiling. wink

- doors and windows that adapt automatically to sloping walls and become sloping as well

I'm afraid that automatic computing of this feature is difficult and feedback even more difficult: should a window be oriented automatically as soon as it doesn't belong to a wall and under a ceiling?

I agree it would be nice... smile
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Mar 8, 2010, 12:34:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Emmanuel:

When thinking about version 4.0, I was thinking of v2.3bxx as version 3.0, but I can understand your hesitation for a version 3.0. I would be glad to see half of this list in v4 or v5 and some of the rest in v6 or v7. Even Santa Claus never gave me everything on my wish list :-)

I guess I could easily live with that, but I would prefer if it was automatic. Also see the other remark concerning OBJ's.

Oops ;-)

What about two directories then? The program itself in "Sweethome3D Code" and all the rest in "Sweethome 3D Userdata". The name of "Userdata" can be chosen by the user? Both directories visible, names in such a way that they appear directly underneath each other??

- no maximum elevation
I'm glad with 25 (meters) but more would be nice (I hate limitations)

- auto-save feature
"Without blocking input"? I'm not sure I understand. In "Preferences" add the option "Autosave On/Off" and (maybe, if possible) a time interval for autosaving. The program interrupts code execution for the duration of the autosave process.

Again, I'm not very technical. How about this: on the one hand you have the program code. On the other hand there is a small import routine that (1) recognizes the SH3F libraries, (2) expands (unzips) them and (3) imports them into the program. The "Import library" function already exists, you might re-use that code??

When clicking the "+" or "-" magnifying glass, the virtual visitor shrinks or grows according to the zoom factor. When zooming out on a large design, the visitor gets soooo small that he (she?) is very hard to manipulate. I've never noticed that a 1 meter tall visitor if smaller than a 10 meter tall visitor. Or is this just Ubuntu?

- when dragging an object into the design you first have to de-select it before you can edit its properties
I was hoping to detect where the cursor with the attached model are. When crossing from the model list to the plan, the right-click behaviour could/should automatically change...?

When importing a texture the import window asks for the size of the texture. When using very large textures (e.g. custom-made for an entire house) one of the sizes is max'ed at 999. The program then calculates the other value from the size of your texture. This calculated value can be greater than 999. It works this way both ways around: it doesn't matter whether you enter the first or the second value: the one entered by hand is max 999, the other one is calculated and can be larger than 999.

I sometimes wish that walls too are included in the parts list. To avoid the parts list getting too long, you might opt for a separate walls list. Especially when you (partially) hide a wall this could come in handy. What columns? Maybe it would be possible to just select the wall and open the edit-window by right-clicking? Otherwise you would have to show too much info in the list, I guess. Or else you could make the same menu available as for furniture, and allow the user to select which columns should be visible.

- change the tab-order in the colour picker
I was already thinking that this would be an operating system function. It's certainly not the most important wish.

- add layers
If exporting OBJ could be made easier, then the need for layers function would be less. Easier OBJ's would be: no floor, export as ZIP for easier importing. This way making a "second floor" or furniture could be a two-step process. It could even be a one-step process if there was a function called "Export to Library" which would convert a model to a(n) (zipped) OBJ and immediately import it into the library. Clever code-recycling??

- add the possibility to export as “zip” (in the file menu)
See directly above

The possibility to add textures to models, will certainly increase the number of textures people will want to use. From that follows the need to easily organize/access textures.

This feature request is far at the bottom of the list. There's no urgency here, but it would be very nice to be able to easily switch between 2 or 3 different views of a design.

- a solution to “make light”

The quality of SH3D deserves better rendering. It's as simple as that. I can understand that programming a rendering engine is more than a simple "feature request". I also understand we can use external programs. Nevertheless.... :-)

This feature would make life easier. Example: when placing things under a roof, you don;t want to see the roof in the plan, but you would like to see the roof in 3D.

I never understood X, Y and Z. I now use an external program (like AoI, Misfit) if I need to rotate a model. But it means that some models are 3 times in my library, only with different rotations. Urgent? No. Nice? Yes!

- z-axis rotation for walls
Walls are now always perpendicular to the ground. It would be nice if walls could lean a bit, even if the leaning would be restricted to 10 or 20 degrees. I guess it's more an architectural feature than a interior design feature. Using ceilings is not the same. Urgent? No. Nice? Yes!

I fully understand that it is hardly possible to think of a simple way to do this. Maybe it's just a stupid idea to ask this.

I'm certainly not the first person to ask this feature, nor will I be the last. I guess it depends on how difficult it would be to program and how you could implement it in a straightforward way. One of the strong points of SH3D is "ease of use". Most of my feature requests can be implemented in a fairly simple way for the user, and I think this should be an important design guide when considering new features. Even if it means I won;t get all my feautures :-)

- ceilings visible from two sides
This one wasn't in the list. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to visit ceilings from above, so that they can act as floors. I guess I would also want to add "thickness" to the ceiling and separate texture/colour for both sides.
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Mar 8, 2010, 5:17:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
fhoofman

I wish the program has a 3d render more realistic,
I really really wish .....
the program is very good ...., but still I really wish...
[Mar 11, 2010, 4:11:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved