Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8035 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Dingenskirchen

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
biggrin Easter Wishlist

Hi and thanks a LOT for this great piece of software! applause I appreciate very much what you are doing for everyone's benefit (and mine). smile

After working with it for a while (current V2.3b21), I found the following things would be useful in future releases (V2.3final+):

- Export to .OBJ without a floor: I have seen others request this, and its most obvious benefit would be easier designing of multi-level buildings (One thing I did was designing a slanted roof standing upright, with windows and all; and then rotating it into its proper position on re-import).
Yes, I have read the workaround solutions offered, but they are all a bit difficult or complicated in some way (I used Blender to remove the unwanted floor level from my exported .OBJ files - it took me half a day to figure out how to work that program properly) - the text editor trick for instance did not work with the original object, but parts of it had to be created freshly to clear out accumulated code.
My point being: You are doing a great job helping users out in this forum, but wouldn't it be easier and less time-consuming to fix this in the program once and for all, so people stop bugging you about it? wink Pleeeease? biggrin Other users have pointed out that SH3D's most important feature is its ease of use, and I couldn't agree more - so it would make sense to me to do without the assistance of other programs - to make it a "one app for all your designing needs" program.

- measurements ("create dimensions") are not "objects" on their own right, they have a serving function. As such, it would be great to have them permantently attached to the edge they measure. As a result, when changing the measured wall or object, the "dimension" would auto-adapt and abolish the need of re-doing them manually every time you change and object's position or size.

- You can split walls, but so far, not join them. This might sometimes be useful when trying to fix texture problems.

- Objects often move while selecting them with the mouse pointer if the pointer moves even the slightest bit. I often find my objects moved unintentionally because it is very difficult to keep the mouse perfectly still when selecting an object, wall or room. Most of the time, I just need the context menu, but I cannot use that before I have selected the object in question. Maybe you could make the right-click select the object under the mouse pointer before opening the context menu, so that there is a safe way of selecting objects without moving them? This leads me to...

- Locking of objects in the base plan: It was a good idea to implement the locking of walls and rooms. Could you please extend this feature to furniture? Once I have placed a shower or a toilet, it is likely that I want it to stay just there. You could add a "moveable" check box in individual furniture properties (just like in the "import furniture" dialog).

- Snapping, snapping, snapping ("Magnetism"): I agree with others that expanding this feature would be very useful. My suggestions:
- snap objects into wall corners
- snap objects to other objects
(e.g., for lining up kitchen furniture without overlaps)
- snap the the active end of a wall that is just being drawn to the middle of other walls
- snap the corners of a room being drawn to the door openings, just the same way as the automatic room generating (on double-click) works. When drawing rooms manually, it is very difficult to get the door openings properly textured without having the room overlap with a neighbouring room (which often leads to floor texturing problems for me).
Also, I find it rather difficult to use the snapping of room corners, as it seems to cover a very small range of only 2 or 3 pixels. The sensitivity of the snapping could be made a user-determined parameter (for those with high mouse speeds like me tongue) in the "Preferences" window, between 1 and 20 pixels or so. As is, I have to hold my breath to hit the mark most of the time. wink

- texture display in the 3D view: I was so enthusiastic about SH3D that I mapped all my surfaces with rather intricate hi-def textures. I soon found out that the program is bound to crash sooner or later if you put wallpaper and tiles everywhere wink So I carefully reduced texture resolutions and positions so that I can work safely now, but my poor old single-core CPU [@2500] is still sweating heavily under the load it needs to render in the 3D view, giving me a framerate of ca. one frame every 3-5 seconds. sad
I would love to see a checkbox in the global preferences that allows to toggle "render textures in 3D view". I can easily live without the splendour of textures in the preview - I just want them in the hi-quality "photograph" render where they belong. Every textured surface could just display the average colour of its texture (needs to be determined once when loading the texture and is then a resource-saving 3-byte value wink )

- Oh yes, and of course I, too, would love to see multi-level capability in the future! Most houses just don't have only one floor wink

In case any of these issues should be system-related, I am using WinXP SP2.
I hope I didn't bug you too much biggrin, so thanks again for SH3D! smile
[Mar 17, 2010, 1:11:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alied

Argentina
Re: Easter Wishlist

- texture display in the 3D view: I was so enthusiastic about SH3D that I mapped all my surfaces with rather intricate hi-def textures. I soon found out that the program is bound to crash sooner or later if you put wallpaper and tiles everywhere wink So I carefully reduced texture resolutions and positions so that I can work safely now, but my poor old single-core CPU [@2500] is still sweating heavily under the load it needs to render in the 3D view, giving me a framerate of ca. one frame every 3-5 seconds. sad
I would love to see a checkbox in the global preferences that allows to toggle "render textures in 3D view". I can easily live without the splendour of textures in the preview - I just want them in the hi-quality "photograph" render where they belong. Every textured surface could just display the average colour of its texture (needs to be determined once when loading the texture and is then a resource-saving 3-byte value wink )

Emmanuel:
Did you take a look to the OBJLoader textures cache?
I don't mean the Texture manager, but the actual OBJLoader with a static map for texture cache.

Dingenskirchen:
Did you try to increase the memory reserved for Java on the startup parameters (see the FAQs)? Also, maybe it could help to use DirectX (often yields better performance than OpenGL on Windows). Regularly update Video cards drivers often helps.

Hope it helps.
[Mar 17, 2010, 7:12:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dingenskirchen

confused Re: Easter Wishlist

Errrm,... no? Which FAQ are you referring to? I only found this one, and it doesn't say anything about memory reservation. If there are others, could you please link them?

I did try DirectX, but I only managed to do that with my offline installation. The latest Beta, however, seems to be run from downloaded files somewhere in my windows system, and I don't know how to manipulate those.
[Mar 18, 2010, 10:36:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dingenskirchen

Update on DirectX

To be on the safe side, I just updated my graphics card driver to the final version from 2006 (GeForce 4) and tried the DirectX Version of SH3D again:
Whenever it doesn't crash right on opening my model, it fails to display textures in the 3D view that the OpenGL version handles correctly. It is also slower than OpenGL, so I won't resort to DirectX for the time being... straight face
[Mar 18, 2010, 1:00:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Update on DirectX

Dinges:

Concerning your memory problems, you may try and read this thread and also this one .

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Mar 18, 2010, 1:46:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alied

Argentina
Re: Update on DirectX

read this on the FAQ page:
I got the message Sweet Home 3D will exit now because of a fatal error in 3D rendering system. What can I do?
(...)
# If this update still doesn't fix your problem, click on this link to run Sweet Home 3D with the DirectX version of the Java 3D library, or if you prefer to run Sweet Home 3D from its installer, download the file SweetHome3D.l4j.ini , copy it in Sweet Home 3D installation directory (by default it's C:\Program Files\Sweet Home 3D) and relaunch Sweet Home 3D.

there you can get a .ini file to specify the amount of memory you want for the program.

I too was working with huge textures, and had to give up to 1GB for it to work properly.
[Mar 18, 2010, 4:27:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dingenskirchen

shock one total system failure later...

Thanks, I just tried these, but I didn't get any usable results so far, because the new nVidia drivers completely froze my entire system right after booting.
Several "safe mode" boots later, I am finally back to my old Detonator driver that has been working perfectly fine for years, and I am about to find out whether the memory reservation fixes my problem.
So far, I was only able to observe in the task manager that although I had reserved 1024MB for SH3D, it only used about 500MB - slowly rising during rendering, though (but never exceeding 600MB).
Well, that was before I left for supper and trusted my machine to get through 2-3 hours of rendering without human assistance, and when I returned, I had to rip most of my system apart because I thought some hardware part had been fried for good in the meantime...
Now, I'm up for the next test run - but thanks for posting. biggrin
[Mar 18, 2010, 6:23:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved