Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 11
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4361 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
macfrog
Advanced Member

Germany
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
strange door behavior

when i add an opened door to my drawing, the blade part of this door always seems to get its dimensions from the thickness of the wall the door resides in instead of the width of the hole in the wall. so, sometimes the blade of my doors are 120 wide while the doors hole is only 90.
how can i avoid that?
[Nov 14, 2010, 8:10:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: strange door behavior

Macfrog,

If your open door doesn't look the way you want, there's a nice trick.

First insert a door frame or a hatch into the wall. Then insert the door inside the frame or hatch, and it will not change its size.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 14, 2010, 8:18:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
macfrog
Advanced Member

Germany

thanks for this hint,
i'll try, if i get my sh3d (on macosx) using now 1gig of RAM even on startup, which makes it recently unusable (til i find the reason for).
greets
frank
[Nov 14, 2010, 8:31:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Macfrog,

One gig of RAM is ridiculous. Even for a Mac.

If you can open your file, you may try these things:
- delete all plants and trees
- if you have used your own, imported textures, check that none of them is bigger than 1024x1024 pixels

You may want to share your file so we can have a look at it. Try using www.mediafire.com to do so.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Nov 14, 2010, 8:36:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
macfrog
Advanced Member

Germany

yes, i was already trying to hide some objects (cars, furniture) and removing textures from window frames etc.
i just tried it again:
sh3d starts (with empty project) normal.
then, i load my plan, an the mess starts: memory consumption and cpu time rise and rise (cpu time caused by swapping i believe).
when i close that project, the memory is never free'd, i have to quit sh3d to get a clean start.

maybe this has something to to with that recent java update for macosx 10.5? anyone might know?

ive also added some (ok. alot) furniture to my library the very same time as the java update. but i can't find them on my harddisk. and no, they are not in my /app support/eteks/... folders. there are only content.pref files.
[Nov 14, 2010, 8:47:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
macfrog
Advanced Member

Germany

me again:

@hansmex
i took your last advice (texture size 1Mpix) and deleted the most recent texture (1 of my own 3) which was indeed around 4mpixels big.
no big change in memory consumption (note, the objects using that texture have already been deleted)
sofar for that issue here, should be moved to a different thread or somewhere else...
frank

p.s.
how do i edit a previous post?
[Nov 14, 2010, 9:26:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Macfrog,

1 - Another suggestion: load your file, select everything with CTRL-A, then change all the furniture to a colour, and all walls to a colour. Save it with a different name.
2 - Close SH3D and start it again, then load your file again to see if it works better. This should (normally) free up memory.
3 - I don't know much about Mac and Java, but it should work. Apple is dropping Java support, so you may want to change to a different operating system? Try Ubuntu 10.10 smile
4 - Reduce your textures to 512x512 pixels or 1024x1024 pixels. Try to avoid transparency in your textures, to avoid possible problems.
5 - You can't edit posts, unless you have been granted privileges.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Nov 14, 2010, 9:37:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Hans, not everyone can update the RAM of his computer, and Sweet Home 3D is able to work on old computers... as long as users are reasonable.
Macfrog, having many imported models in your catalog shouldn't be a problem. They will use memory only if you add them in your home.

One thing I'd like you to test is to reduce the total memory amount that Sweet Home 3D may use.
To reduce the max memory to 512 MB please follow the next steps:
1. right click on Sweet Home 3D application icon,
2. select Show Package Contents,
3. open Contents folder,
4. edit Info.plist file by dragging its icon on TextEdit application,
5. replace the number 1024 by 512 in the text <string>-Xmx1024m</string>,
6. save and restart Sweet Home 3D.

Please, report here how it works after this change.

By the way, Apple decided to finally continue to support Java under Mac OS X! biggrin
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 15, 2010, 5:19:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Macfrog, Emmanuel,

When I said "One gig of RAM is ridiculous", I was referring to the amount of memory the file was using, not to the amount of memory the computer has.
I've had some memory problems myself (under Ubuntu), but I've never seen SH3D use more than approx. 700 Mb of memory.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Nov 15, 2010, 5:35:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
macfrog
Advanced Member

Germany

hi.
i've just manage to group all furniture in every room and setting to invisible. this helps a little bit with my memory issue. so it stops nicely under 500MB RAM usage. but i'm still not able to render a view with now almost empty rooms the mem gets eaten up before rendering even started (with the black backgroud), i figure this out later. thanks again.
that package hack etc. is something for next weekend, i think.
frank
[Nov 15, 2010, 8:07:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved