Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2861 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re-scaling after zooming in/out

Emmanuel,

There's some odd behaviour in SH3D that (a) I don't understand or (b) I would like to see changed.

When I'm making a design in the 2D window it frequently happens that my design grows out of the 2D window. Let's say I (temporarily) place an object "far" from the rest of my design. The 3D window automatically zooms out to accommodate the larger surface.

However, when I delete the far object, the zoom in the 2D is not correctly reset, and in the 3D window the zoom-factor isn't reset. It's a bit difficult to explain...

Let's assume a new design, with just one object, a box of 1x1x1 meters. From that "zero-zoom" there are (say) 20 zoom-steps up, and 20 zoom-steps down. When automatically zooming far out, it is as if the zoom-factor remains locked in step 10. When I delete the far-out object, it is not possible to zoom in as far as I could before the far-out object was there.

In the 2D window there is something similar going on. When I insert an object far to the left, there appear two sliders so that you can move to the far corners of the design. But when you delete the far object, the sliders do not disappear.

I hope my explanation is understandable.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 29, 2010, 12:38:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Re-scaling after zooming in/out

Hans,
I see what you mean.
The 2D plan and the 3D view are managed and evolved differently although they share a few common things like a preferred minimum size of 10x10 meters for empty homes.

In the very first versions of Sweet Home 3D the size of the scroll bars around the the 2D plan were always computed according to the contents of the plan. But this wasn't working correctly in some cases, and I changed this behavior to let the 2D plan size only grow (except when it's reopened). Maybe I should review that but I don't feel it's so disturbing.

As for the 3D view, I changed its behavior in Aerial view mode in version 3.0, because it was really weird sometimes. Now the behavior is this one: imagine the bounding box that contains everything in the 3D view, then take the minimum half sphere that will contain this bounding box. The Aerial view mode will let you navigate anywhere between a 10% larger half sphere and a 5 times larger sphere. Every time you add, remove or move some objects in your home, the bounding box is computed again and the view point is possibly moved if the distance to the home is too close or too far.
Finally, there are an additional condition: as soon as the home contains some walls or if it's empty (no wall, no room and no furniture), the aforementioned bounding box will be 10x10 meters wide at minimum. This avoids too much auto zoom during the initial drawing of walls (normally the main goal of Sweet Home 3D wink), but lets you see smalls 3D models from very close if you don't draw any wall though.

I hope this will be clearer for you and you'll finally like it.
I'm open to any proposal to improve the Aerial view mode again, but please keep in mind that it must stay simple.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 29, 2010, 7:14:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Re-scaling after zooming in/out

Emmanuel,

Thanks for your very clear answer.
It's not so much the 3D view that sometimes disturbs me, more the 2D view.

Maybe there is a middle-ground between the "old" and "new" behaviour: after every change, the new scale is calculated and compared with the initial value. Only if the difference exceeds a certain factor, is the 2D view updated. This prevents up- and down-scaling after every design change, but still guarantees that the scale follows the design, albeit with a certain "delay".

Let's assume the factor is 2: if the new scale is 2x bigger than the old one, the 2D view zooms out a factor 2. Which factor is ideal is a matter of preference, or trial and error, I guess.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 29, 2010, 7:55:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved