Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 34
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 29315 times and has 33 replies Next Thread
Fintan

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
2 floor restaurant.

I am designinig a restaurant with a gallery on the "2nd" floor"

I followed this:
http://www.sweethome3d.com/multiLevelHouseGuide.pdf

I have two sh3d's:
- Restaurant
- Gallery

When I finish designing the gallery part and do: select all->group->copy as furniture I cannot paste the gallery (as furniture) into my reatuarant sh3d.

Exporting to obj works but importing the gallery obj into the restaurant crashes SH3d.

When I just copy the grouped gallery, I can then paste it into my restaurant. The only problem here is that the floor of the gallery does not show. So all my ellements are hanging in mid air. whe I change the hight form the ground to the proper value(350cm).

Can someone point me in the right direction?
[Dec 27, 2010, 8:41:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: 2 floor restaurant.

You can paste only in the plan or the furniture list. Did you give them focus by clicking in them?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 27, 2010, 9:25:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Fred,

The best way is to use Tools --> Copy as new furniture to copy and paste your gallery. That part of your design can then be elevated and placed on top of the ground floor.

There is one little problem in SH3D: floors and ceilings are one-sided. For ceilings this means that they are visible from below, but transparent from above. For floors it means that they are visible from above, but transparent from below. This means that the floor of your gallery may be invisible when seen from below, but will be visible when seen from above. The solution is to give the ground floor a ceiling that matches the gallery floor. As an alternative you can use flat boxes to make a new floor for the gallery.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Dec 27, 2010, 10:07:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Fintan

Thank you guys smile

You can paste only in the plan or the furniture list. Did you give them focus by clicking in them?

I tried that to no effect.

Cannot paste a "copy as furniture" element into a different plan.

The solution is to give the ground floor a ceiling that matches the gallery floor.
Itried that. Not sure that I did it correctly as I cannot see a cieling.

See here:
http://www.fintan-gastro-consulting.ch/Italian/ItalianRestPresentation.html

All I can do for now is put a box in there but that is not very satisfactory:
http://www.fintan-gastro-consulting.ch/Italian/ItalianRestPresentation2.html

As well my graphiccard is so week I cannot really tell if I am applying the floor/cieling textures correctly.
[Dec 28, 2010, 8:44:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Maybe you encountered this bug.
Can you try if it works better with the latest beta please?
One workaround would be to use Copy as new furniture plug-in (see here for more information about this plug-in).
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 28, 2010, 10:48:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Fred,

Can you share your design with us?
The 3D images you shared aren't very helpful in seeing what's going wrong.

1 - Using the plug-in CopyAsNewFurniture allows you to copy (part of) your design and paste it in another instance of the program that is open at the same time. I do it every day: if it works on my computer, it should work on yours. Read the manual to see how to install it. The plug-in adds the function Tools --> Copy as new furniture to the menu, as I wrote before.
2 - The way you describe to copy (part of) your design (select all --> group --> copy as furniture ) does NOT describe an actual way of working in SH3D, so it is impossible to say if you do it correctly or not.
3 - If you suspect that your computer isn't powerful enough, you can temporarily make all tables and chairs invisible. This will reduce the workload for your computer considerably, and the program will react much faster.

EDIT
Below is a picture of a fast sketch design I made: a restaurant with a gallery. Just to show you that it is possible to do this with SH3D.

Hans

Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hansmex at Dec 28, 2010, 2:25:43 PM]
[Dec 28, 2010, 11:52:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
PtiNounours

Good evening,

I have a question relative to the viewer that is integrated onto the Website of Fred (Fintan). At the opening of the applet, loading the SH3D file and when handling the camera, are the server hosting this site or the client that uses resources CPU/GPU so you can view this 3D model?

Beautiful presentation of the restaurant, Hans. wink
[Dec 28, 2010, 10:40:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Sebastien,

Thank you for the compliment. Here is a newer and much larger version.

Hans

click here for even larger picture

EDIT
And here is another large picture

Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hansmex at Dec 29, 2010, 2:30:28 AM]
[Dec 28, 2010, 11:19:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Fintan

Hello all, thank you for the advice and responses.

I installed the "copy as furniture" plugin as described in the manual.

Since I didn't have:

a plugins dir in .eteks/sweethome3d/plugins I created one and then moved the plugins over to that dir.

So I have:
Tools --> Copy as new furniture

but I cannot paste the copy from the gallery instance into the restaurant (gound floor) instance.

2 - The way you describe to copy (part of) your design (select all --> group --> copy as furniture ) does NOT describe an actual way of working in SH3D

I am not sure what you mean. That is the only eay I can describe what I was doing. When I finished making the gallery I right clicked then selected all->grouped the selection and did tools->copy as furniture.

To no avail becuase I can only paste the copy back into gallery but not into the restaurant.

@Hans: How can I share? The restaurant and gallery are both over 8MB. I can PM my FTP if that is helpful.

Very nice restaurant, Especially for a "quicky". Mine is not quite as prfessional, yet.
[Dec 29, 2010, 7:20:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Fred,

When there is a link in a message, it is a good idea to follow it to see what information it points to. Check out the earlier messages... I gave a link to "How to share images and files" ! It explains how to easily share files, even when 100Mb or larger. If you only read half of the messages we post, it's a waste of time.

When you want to use the plug-in CopyAsNewFurniture do it exactly <!!> this way:
- Open the source file from where you want to copy
- Open the target file to which you want to copy
- In the source file, select the part of your design that you want to copy with the mouse
- In the source file, click Tools --> Copy as new furniture
- Switch to the target file and do a Right-click and Paste
- Move the copied block into position and give it the correct elevation

Note - There is no need to group furniture!
Note - it is imperative that both instances of SH3D are open before you start the copy action!

This is the way I made the restaurant above. It works, as you can see. Since you write that you created a .eteks directory, I assume you are using Linux/Ubuntu, just like me.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Dec 29, 2010, 7:47:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved