Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10310 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Ian108

UK
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Loft conversion plan

Hi all

I am new to this forum and to this software. Firstly let me say that although I have only just started using SH3D, I am loving it's intuitive feel.

I would like to design a loft conversion for my home, but as yet I cannot work out the best way to create slopping walls/ceilings. Any help or quick pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Ian
[Jan 2, 2011, 7:29:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Loft conversion plan

Ian,

Check out this file. It should make clear how to do it.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jan 2, 2011, 8:06:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ian108

UK

Thank you Hans...that was very helpful :)
[Jan 4, 2011, 9:03:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ian108

UK

Is there a way to create triangle shaped windows?

I have also searched the web, but so far only found triangle widow components for Sketchup. Is there an easy way to convert these?
[Jan 5, 2011, 3:47:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Ian,

Easy? That depends on the definition:
- download any *.skp model
- open it in Sketchup
- export it as a 3D model (*.dae)
(- import it in SH3D)

Now, there's a small problem: you can't insert triangular windows in walls. SH3D assumes windows to be rectangular, and leaves gaps around a triangular window. So, the trick is to make the triangular window square, Depending on the exact form of the window, you can combine it with a few triangles until you have a rectangle. In general this can be done in SH3D. If you need an upside-down triangle, export a normal one, and re-import it, and make sure that you change the orientatien during import.

One you have enclosed your triangular window to make it rectangular:
- export the rectangular window as OBJ file
- import it and check the Door/Window check-box while importing.

You may want to give the triangles the correct colour/texture before importing it, because otherwise everything gets the same colour/texture.

Easy? Well... mmmhhmm... But consider this: how long does it take to teach yourself Blender??

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Jan 5, 2011, 4:09:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ian108

UK

Thanks Hans...I will try that. Not sure I fully understand the info on the triangle window though. I want to insert a triangle window (point at top) into a gable roof wall.

Also seem to be having trouble installing Sketchup. Software downloads and seems to install, but then cannot be found??? No icon, program etc can be found in search. Tried several times...very odd.
[Jan 6, 2011, 3:13:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Ian,

If under Windows, installing Sketchup shouldn't cause any problems.
If under Ubuntu, you should read this message .
If under Mac, I can't help you.

Check out this file. It shows you examples of:
- a triangular window in a wall
- a triangular window in a wall with an extra triangle to fill the gap. Note that SH3D has problems with the texture.
- a triangular window as part of a sloping wall.

I hope this explains how to do what I tried to explain earlier.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Jan 6, 2011, 4:22:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ian108

UK

Thank you Hans. The picture/example speaks a thousand words. Excellent...the sloping wall example works well and is how I intend to use it.

I am trying to intall Sketchup under windows vista. Tried several more times but still same problem. I take it it is a program and has an icon etc? I have now posted problem to Google SU forum as I cannot find other examples of this problem. I do not get any error messages as others do when install fails.
[Jan 6, 2011, 5:18:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
tmariga

United States

Is there a way to create a dome? For residential
[Jul 1, 2021, 6:45:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

No, check the Trimble SketchUp Warehouse...
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Jul 1, 2021, 10:59:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved