Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 22
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15342 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
quickmic

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
sad Big project has many problems

Hi

I have done a big project and now got many problems. Sometimes java crashes or I have to start it 2 or 3 times. "Copy as new furinture" is almost impossible and so on...
More than 1,5GB Ram is not possible to use by java, and 2 instances of java (sweet home 3d) let crash java (with 1,5GB Ram setting) at start of the second instance. Using 64bit java doasn't help.

Also I'm not ready with my project... I need several more objects, but at this point it's almost impossible to use sweet home 3d anymore.
Is there a solution existing, or should stop at this point, and try another application?

My hardware is not the problem. 6GB ram, I7 CPU , fast graphiccard.
[Feb 24, 2011, 6:42:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
macfrog
Advanced Member

Germany
Re: Big project has many problems

Hi quickmic,
more important to know for us would be, what kindof project you are dealing with:
is it a quite complicated layout or are you trying to import lots of high detailed furniture?

did you tried a simple project first and did it work?

If you can't start sh3d twice - justz don't do it:-)
macfrog
[Feb 24, 2011, 7:59:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
quickmic

I upload the complete project tomorrow. Then you can check it. Double start of the app is needed for my multilevel-project... Alternativly...Export to obejct of one level is possible, but by importing to the another level (ground floor) crashes also.
[Feb 24, 2011, 8:06:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Citing hardware is nice, but I would rather know the system you use.
Reading the FAQ might help too.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 24, 2011, 11:25:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
quickmic

I will check the faq...
Also I tried the project on three different computers. 2 Win7 64bit and one 64bit kubuntu. Always the same problem, I think the project is simply too big and needs more Ram than java is possible to use.

Here the link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HL7KOPUY

Dach-Fläche13-aussen.sh3d
Dach-Fläche13-innen.sh3d
Dach-Gaube17-aussen.sh3d
Dach-Gaube17-innen.sh3d

these 4 files are parts of the roof

Dach-Komplett.sh3d

are the connected 4 roof-parts

Wohnung72.sh3d

is the main apartment-part

Wohnung72-Dach.sh3d

is the connected Wohnung72.sh3d with the Dach-Komplett.sh3d

'Till here it's teribble slow, but it works.
Now I need to export Wohnung72-Dach.sh3d to the Stiege1.sh3d which is the ground-level and this is not possible to do.
[Feb 25, 2011, 8:23:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I guess the problem comes from the texture images resolution of some objects you imported (for example the Receiver Sony). All these detailed images kill performances.
Maybe I should add an option in the furniture importation wizard to propose to downsize imported textures. Feel free to fill a feature request about this.
[Feb 25, 2011, 10:45:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
quickmic

Jep, I know that I have many detailed objects, but I want this. Maybe it is possible to reduce the details from the 3D preview, but if I render, I want almost of those details.
Next problem... as I said...I'm not ready. I plan about 30% more objects and at least than it's absolutly impossible to work with, even if I drastically remove details.

I think the main problem is java which cannot work with more than 1,5GB here. The hint in the FAQs about -Xmx2048m doasn't work.... I got an error something like ...cannot start d3d... Is this normal?

And at last.... If I think about splitting the rooms in much more parts so that the performance should be ok for work, but if I cannot compare those parts at the end of the project (to make some render pics) it makes no sense.
For now it's not only slow, it's even instabile and crashes. If it only works slow but stabil.... I can wait, but now I cannot compare my parts.
[Feb 25, 2011, 11:20:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I'm not sure that giving more memory to the program would make it run much better. Performances are much more bounded to the size and the count of displayed items than to memory usage. Nevertheless, I just tried again your file under Mac OS X on my i7 with 4 GB max allocated to the program and I didn't feel it ran so bad.
If you're under Windows, I think you can't go higher than 2 GB of memory with a 32 bits program. So try first a little less like -Xmx1900m.

You could also use the 64 bits version of the program, by installing a 64 bits version of Java on your system, then downloading Sweet Home 3D Jar executable file and running it with the following command:
java -Xmx4096m -jar path/to/SweetHome3D-3.1.jar
(for 4 GB of memory).

I would be pleased to know if it would work better.
[Feb 25, 2011, 11:39:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
quickmic

smile This works and is 100:1 better. With the java path and the SweetHome3D-3.1.jar the -Xmx4096m parameter is taken. Before I always tried to modify the sweetHome3D.l4j.ini with the -Xmx2048m... Like explained in FAQ....

"Under Windows, create a text file named SweetHome3D.l4j.ini in the same folder as SweetHome3D.exe, write the max memory Java option in that file, for example -Xmx2048m for 2 GB, then relaunch Sweet Home 3D."

This doasn't work... over 1,5GB an error message is displayed.

Now I can compare the project-parts and it works...
Performance is still ok on my "slow" buissness-computer and I'm nosy about the performance on my home-PC.
[Feb 25, 2011, 12:49:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thank you for your tests. I updated the FAQ accordingly.
[Feb 25, 2011, 1:17:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved