Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 17356 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Mystic_fool

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Differnt configured staircases

I think it would be really nice if some of the basics were covered, like different configured staircases. Similar the library that FloorPlanner has. Also the staircase that is available, does not show up in the 2D print, looking like a staircase, its just a solid color. Unless I'm doing something wrong.
[Jun 10, 2011, 3:59:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Differnt configured staircases

The 3D models in the default library + the ones created by contributors contain 7 staircases, without counting the numerous ones available at DAE/Collada format in Google Warehouse. What models would you miss?
By the way, if you want to change the top view shown in the plan, please have a look to this thread. This is not so difficult to achieve, so feel free to contribute to a new staircases SH3F library.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jun 10, 2011, 6:57:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
macfrog
Advanced Member

Germany

Maybe,
some of us are waiting for a dialog providing a new staircase just by taking a few measurements from the selected room segment - like selecting a 2x2 metre "room"->create stairs->select turns->done!
i know, staircase calculation is based upon specific rules (i do create some of my objects by myself) but for a software this should be very easy. Might be worth a plugin?
macfrog
[Jun 26, 2011, 8:31:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

macfrog,

I wouldn't mind having a Make staircase feature, but I think it would be a rather complex bit of programming. In the past, I've used a 3D program that had an excellent staircase feature, that made all kinds of designs possible, including staircases with 1 or 2 turns, with or without railings, etc.

Who knows, maybe someone will program it someday... smile

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jun 26, 2011, 10:55:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
macfrog
Advanced Member

Germany

Hans,

there might be a little misunderstanding about "complex" seen from a developers pov compared to the users experience smile.

the calculation of a possible (or even impossible) staircase is from the architectural side, lets say math, quite easy. the trick is to provide an easy dialog to tell the user "those stairs are not compliant to building rules" or "there is no space for that" and so on.

i donot know how the basic object are handled in sh3d, but, if a "staircase room" would be one of it, you could "simply" mark it red for "improper".
as for a plugin developer, you only have to get the room the stairs are going to be in and the height of the surrounding walls. therefore you have a e.g. 3x3x3m cubicle. the rest is to the user: home or public building, tight space -> need turns and so on.

whatever, i for now use the simple calculation (really a few steps only) to determine the needed number of steps and the resulting height of them steps to build a simple staircase out of blocks:

btw, of course i'm only common to german DIN rules, so please don't bother me with others wink
macfrog
[Jul 2, 2011, 9:28:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Macfrog,

The way I look at staircases is not from an engineer's point of view, but from an interior designer's. So, although I can imagine the technical solution, my guess would be that the design solution is the difficult part of the equation.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jul 3, 2011, 10:25:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
macfrog
Advanced Member

Germany

Hans,
i know exactly what you mean.
but, once you got the technology (aka algorithm) you can add as many details and features you like.

this is what makes computing stairs so nice:
they are multiple things from the same size. So letting them turning around in a spiral, containing little details on every step, with a nice curved handrail, all that or (even more) can be calculated. and, while this staircase would be created all at once, there is less chance for an error.
now when i download some stairs, i need to rescale them, which loooks awfull and wrong. the resulting picture is (for my needs) useless. i'll go for the real pix with a constructed one from a 3d programm.
for test renders the mentioned block-approach is quite good-i could even add a handrail, i think smile
[Jul 3, 2011, 8:43:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
PollieXmas

Hi All,

Yes, I agree. Currently stairs are a furniture object where in my world it should rather be a type of wall, albeit a complex one ;-).

However for the purposes that I'm using sh3d the object is good enough as I only need to know how much space it would take up, i.e. where I must put the walls to cordon off that area from the other rooms.

It would be nice though to specify the number and location of the landings and that it fills in the rest automatically, based on the options specified.

Thanks

Paul
[Oct 18, 2011, 12:43:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved