Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2698 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
TwistedLincoln

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Allow "select" tool to select items on multiple levels

It would be great to be able to toggle if the "select" tool selects items on just the current level, or all levels. Currently, it only selects on the current level, so moving the entire home to a different spot on the grid is difficult -- you have to move it a level at a time and make sure things line up appropriately.

Alternatively, allowing the overall size of the "grid" to be expanded while leaving the home in place would accomplish the same thing.

How is this useful? In my case, I wanted to add an exterior shed to the design, but found that I'd put the house too close to the edge of the grid for it to fit. So I had to zoom out, move the house, and then zoom back in. Not the end of the world, but it would be nice to have an easier way to do this.
[Jun 27, 2012, 10:18:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Allow "select" tool to select items on multiple levels

I would agree to add a Edit > Select all at all levels menu item, but I fear that introducing an other Select at all levels select tool might be too misleading for many users, even if your use case is interesting.
Combined with Copy > Cut / Paste or with selection toggling using the shift key, the Select all at all levels menu item could still be helpful for you, right?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jun 29, 2012, 7:53:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TwistedLincoln

Re: Allow "select" tool to select items on multiple levels

I would agree to add a Edit > Select all at all levels menu item, but I fear that introducing an other Select at all levels select tool might be too misleading for many users, even if your use case is interesting.

I hadn't considered that -- you're right, I think most people would be confused by a separate tool/menu option like that.

Another option that might be less confusing could be to make a tool labeled something like "move entire design" that when chosen would automatically select everything on the plan at all levels, and then allow to to click and drag it all to another spot.

Combined with Copy > Cut / Paste or with selection toggling using the shift key, the Select all at all levels menu item could still be helpful for you, right?

Sure, that would work just as well.
[Jun 29, 2012, 3:18:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved