Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 33
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 83571 times and has 32 replies Next Thread
Puybaret
Expert

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Portable version of Sweet Home 3D

I created tonight a 7-zip archive of a portable version of Sweet Home 3D that includes executables and bundled jres for Windows 16 bits/32 bits, Mac OS X, Linux 16 bits/32 bits (see the README.TXT file provided with the archive). Once this 7zip archive is uncompressed in a given folder, this folder can be moved anywhere, and all the additional imported data will work from a computer to an other.
As a special bonus, I included in the archive all the furniture contributed in page 3D models page (sorry if all of them are not translated), and the 22 available translations.

Hope you'll like it. smile

Please test it, and give me your feedback. I'll transfer it to SourceForge.net files if everything works correctly as it seems from my own tests.

Developer comments:
The Portable version of Sweet Home 3D 3.6 (116 MB) was released on 09/12/2012.

----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Puybaret at Sep 12, 2012, 4:04:07 PM]
[Sep 8, 2012, 11:34:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
supseb

Re: Portable version

Excellent ! that's exactly what I was looking for ! thanks a lot !!
and with the bonus, it's perfect !! I tried and it seems to work well.

do you allow me to put this archive on websites for downloading ?
[Sep 9, 2012, 2:03:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks for your feedback.
do you allow me to put this archive on websites for downloading ?
Please wait a few days until I add it to SourceForge.net. Then you can copy it wherever you want as the GNU General Public License gives you the freedom to do it.
[Sep 9, 2012, 8:52:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pial

France

Thanks for the good news !
It seems to work like a charm (for basic operations so far. (We'll see later what happens in a real work session.)
Anyway, I've already put the install version into the trash !
I always prefere portable apps because I often backup/restore ghost images of my system.
A portable version of every next update would be very welcome of course.
Thanks again.
----------------------
Pierre
[Sep 9, 2012, 12:22:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pial

France

I forgot to mention one thing :
Nothing less than 531 mo of free space is necessary to unzip the archive and be able to use SH3D portable.
But some users will be glad to know that you can reduce it to one third, that is 179 mo.
To achieve that, you must delete unused folders and files, specially folders concerning OS others than the one you use,
and a few files of exotic languages for exemple.

I really don't know if this modification is totally authorized.

An alternative would be that you upload different versions of SH3D-portable depending on the OS's user.
Thanks.
----------------------
Pierre
[Sep 9, 2012, 1:20:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks Pierre for your feedback. smile

I really don't know if this modification is totally authorized.
It's not a problem to remove the sub folders of jre and lib/ext folders that don't match the operating systems you need.

An alternative would be that you upload different versions of SH3D-portable depending on the OS's user.
No, I plan to release one archive only, it's easier for me to handle and true portability (across computers and operating systems) is needed by a lot of people. 500 MB isn't that much nowadays, and the compressed file is reduced to 117 MB thanks to 7-zip. smile
[Sep 9, 2012, 5:31:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pial

France

Yes, total portability sounds like the best choice.

Last but not least, the absolute portability of this version comes from the fact that users don't have to install JRE package anymore.
Tat's the icing on the cake, imo.
Good job.
----------------------
Pierre
[Sep 9, 2012, 6:46:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I'm pleased to announce you that the Portable version of Sweet Home 3D 3.6 (116 MB) was released today, for Sweet Home 3D 5th birthday. Feel free to use it and redistribute it. smile
[Sep 12, 2012, 4:05:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Gaytan

Hi Emmanuel,

Guess it's better / easier to use this 'Portable Version' when wanting to work on projects on different computers?
Kind of 'overlooked' this portable version....

Any portable version 3.7 ready yet? :-)
I'll be more then happy to give it a go; will keep everything on my USB stick then...

Kind regards,

Ed
[Oct 29, 2012, 12:01:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The portable version 3.7 was released at the same time as the other ones, and is listed in the Other downloads section.
[Oct 29, 2012, 12:26:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved