Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6748 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
John37

United Kingdom
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
3D .OBJ import problem

Hello
When I try to import a 35MB OBJ file I get the error message "The format of the chosen model isn't supported. Please try another model."
Is the file too big, or is there another reason why it won't import?
John
[Sep 15, 2012, 6:30:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: 3D .OBJ import problem

Difficult to say. 35 MB is big but it should work.
Can you send me your file?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 16, 2012, 12:42:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Lynn22

Not all software exports a model to OBJ in the same way.
Some times importing the model in different software and exporting again solves this problem.
[Sep 16, 2012, 5:33:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
John37

United Kingdom

Dear Emmanuel and Lynn22

Thank you for your kind and helpful replies. I was able to "correct" the file by importing it into MeshLab, exporting it in STL format, re-importing it and then exporting it in OBJ format again. I was then able to import the corrected OBJ file into Sweet Home 3D, and it works fine.

I am still finding out how best to use SH3D and discovering the best way to achieve things with it. I am much better than when I started, but certain things still baffle me from time to time or seem to be missing at the moment. For example, I can't discover how to move my virtual visitor sideways using the keyboard, none of the keys (e.g. arrow keys) seem to work....

I don't know how to select a wall under a staircase, for example, without moving the staircase...

Also, I don't know how to insert an additional point (vertex?) in a room that has already been created/drawn...or how to delete unnecessary vertices...

...and if it is possible to position the building on sloping ground - our planned new meditation centre that will be a refurbished and extended 3 storey house is on a sloping site.

I wonder if it is possible to create flat (horizontal) roof lights/windows in flat roofs/ceiling...

I can't find a flat panel ceiling light (fluorescent or LED) which I need to light some rooms -do you know if one exists?

One minor comment about the user interface, when I double click on an item (wall, window, etc) I want to open its dialogue box to inspect it or modify it, but sometimes I accidentally move the item on the plan, which I don't want. Maybe it would be possible for the program to automatically undo the accidental movement of an item caused by a double click?

Yours sincerely
John
[Sep 21, 2012, 10:14:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks for your feedback. smile

I was able to "correct" the file by importing it into MeshLab, exporting it in STL format, re-importing it and then exporting it in OBJ format again. I was then able to import the corrected OBJ file into Sweet Home 3D, and it works fine.
It's great you succeeded! Were you able to keep colors too?

I can't discover how to move my virtual visitor sideways using the keyboard, none of the keys (e.g. arrow keys) seem to work....
You can't from the 3D view. If the focus is on the plan view, it's possible with the arrow keys if the virtual visitor selected and is parallel with borders.

I don't know how to select a wall under a staircase, for example, without moving the staircase...
Right click in the plan view where the staircase is and select it in the Select object sub menu of the contextual menu that will appear (see also the end of this blog article).

Also, I don't know how to insert an additional point (vertex?) in a room that has already been created/drawn...or how to delete unnecessary vertices...
You should use the Advanced editing plugin. See this tutorial written by Hans.

...and if it is possible to position the building on sloping ground - our planned new meditation centre that will be a refurbished and extended 3 storey house is on a sloping site.
This feature doesn't exist yet. You'll have to simulate it with triangles for example. See also this thread.

I wonder if it is possible to create flat (horizontal) roof lights/windows in flat roofs/ceiling...
Not directly, but in a separate document, you can create a wall of the same size as your roof with a window, then export it to OBJ format and finally reimport it as a piece of furniture, changing its orientation at the second step of the importation wizard to make the wall oriented like the roof and not vertical.

I can't find a flat panel ceiling light (fluorescent or LED) which I need to light some rooms -do you know if one exists?
Not in Sweet Home 3D library.

One minor comment about the user interface, when I double click on an item (wall, window, etc) I want to open its dialogue box to inspect it or modify it, but sometimes I accidentally move the item on the plan, which I don't want. Maybe it would be possible for the program to automatically undo the accidental movement of an item caused by a double click?
It's difficult to guess what is an accident and what is not. sad
I remember I tried to fix some similar issue some time ago. I'll try to check if I can improve this.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 21, 2012, 1:36:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
John37

United Kingdom

Thanks for your help.

No I didn't manage to keep the colours. I'm new to all this, and I assumed the colours would be in a separate file, which I didn't have. But maybe they were all in the original OBJ file and were lost during the conversions? Grateful for any suggestions how to keep the colours.

Thanks again

John
[Sep 23, 2012, 9:32:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

John,

There are a few websites that offer free models for download which are all-white. They only offer the OBJ file, but not the MTL file, which -I assume- they will gladly provide for a price.

Another possibility is that after downloading you moved the files to a different location, but forgot to move the MTL file, or the directory with textures (in case of a DAE file).

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 23, 2012, 11:36:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved