Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5355 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
jasan

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Copy background image between levels?

Is there any easy way of copying the background image to a different level?

I can offcourse add it again and make sure to place it as close as possible, but since mouse/manual input is needed, I can not know that it will be exactly the same.
[Dec 24, 2012, 10:30:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jasan

Re: Copy background image between levels?

Not possible?
[Dec 29, 2012, 12:29:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Sorry, it's not possible.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 29, 2012, 9:32:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

There may be a workaround.

STEP 1
- Import your background picture.
- When you have to adjust the scale line, make it as large as your screen allows. Do this at the top of the screen, so that you can be sure the line isn't slightly skewed.
- In the next step set an estimated value for the length of the line.
- Set the coordinates for top-left.
- Click Finish.

STEP 2
- Now take a look at your imported background picture and look at a line with a known length.
- Using the Dimension tool, measure that line as accurately as possible.
- Divide the measured length (in the workspace) with the estimated length (during importing) and write down that number.

STEP 3
- Select Modify background image and go to step 2
- Divide the estimated length with the number you have written down
- If necessary, repeat step 2 and 3 until the line with the known length is scaled correctly.

STEP 4
- You can now import the background picture for the other levels, directly using the definite, experimentally "refined" scale.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Dec 29, 2012, 11:35:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

An other workaround could be to use your background image as a texture of a very wide thin box. Then you could copy that box to other levels and make it invisible when not needed.
[Dec 30, 2012, 7:01:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
davidaveiro

Portugal

Hello!

This is a very old thread which I came across while having the same problem/purpose. I have 11 levels in the project I am designing, it's essential to have the same background image with land/plot structure and it would be a "pain in the ass" to repeat the procedure of adding the image in a perfect way. Not finding an out-of-the box solution I managed to "invent" a very practical solution which I share here if others have the same issue. The steps follow:

- rename project.sh3d to project.zip and unzip it
- erase the file "ContentDigests"*
- open the file Home.xml in your favorite editor and edit as indicated below
- zip the files and rename to sh3d

you will notice that level tags without background image have this structure:

<level ###level configuration### />

and with an image this structure:

<level ###level configuration###>
<backgroundImage ###image configuration###/>
</level>

So you just need to change all other level tags to this structure, keeping each individual level configuration and using the same backgroundImage tag.

* as per another thread I came across this is necessary to prevent an error on opening and there is no problem as it's redundant information that's recreated on the next save)

I would suggest the developers to simply add an option in the software to repeat the same background image in all levels as it seems it's an easy and quick change to the program code.

Kind regards,
David
[Apr 13, 2021, 2:59:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

In case you missed it, from version 5.3, the scale and origin of background images imported at a new level are initialized with the values of the background image available at the closest level.
This should avoid to modify Home.xml file by hand, shouldn't it?
[Apr 14, 2021, 3:23:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
davidaveiro

Portugal

yes, indeed I missed that, thanks for informing about the feature and no need to manually edit Home.xml anymore 😅 anyway it's good that if someone else like me misses the feature the info about it will be here
[Apr 25, 2021, 11:00:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved