Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4537 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
jasan

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Best way to create terrain? 3d polygons?

Hi,

I'm working on a project where a large part goes into building a 3d model of the landscape surronding the house. I have been working with basic shapes (triangle + boxes). However, this has quite a few limitations, to name a few;

* You are limited to regtangle spaces and 90 degres corners, making it hard to replicate "reality".
* You end up with quite a few objects to describe a structure.

Is there any better way of doing this?
One solution would off course be to add a complete new object; a 3d polygon that allows you to insert new "breakpoints" and move these in x,y and z -axis.

Just as an example is a typical map of a new plot of land that could be 100x100 sqm in that plot may there be 25 measured spots that indicate hight. It would be great to first just insert a "standard box" and the insert these 25 measured points and let the z axis be altered. That would give a very basic 3d structure that would describe that land area.

BR
[Dec 24, 2012, 10:40:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Lynn22

Re: Best way to create terrain? 3d polygons?

Could you describe the kind of terrain you want to create in your project or maybe give a link to an image representing your idea.

The reason I'm asking is that the use of non-flat terrains is a recurring question and I'm working on a test case to try and solve this in a general way, something that might work in many situations.

Thanks
[Dec 27, 2012, 8:43:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jasan

I would be happy to send you my complete project. Please send a pm with an email (if this is ok with you).

Basically I would just like to represent the difference in height in the terrain around the house (in the plot that I have bought) and some areas that is "connected" to the plot, like a nearby road etc.

BR
[Dec 29, 2012, 12:28:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mjsweetland

Hello,
Is there any progress on the 3D polygon idea?

I have been trying for some time to produce ground terrain using box's and triangle's, but the results are not very good.

A 3D polygon, or other terrain editor would be an VERY useful feature.
[Jun 30, 2014, 9:34:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Some time ago, OK Hoff proposed a few 3D models that could help. But these are still only workarounds.
I understand it would be a nice feature, but this is complex to program, and I recall you that Sweet Home 3D is first an interior design program, meaning this kind of task isn't on my top priority list. But who knows, if ever I got a nice idea...
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jun 30, 2014, 4:53:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mjsweetland

Dear Mr Puybaret,
Thank you for your kind reply,
I do quite understand that Sweet Home 3D is primarily an interior design program, and obviously external terrain will be of low priority.

I would like to thank you for your reference to OK Hoff suggestions, I have checked the link's to OK Hoff and downloaded the various shapes and example files.
These are very helpful and informative, they have given me several idea's and workarounds and I have been able to create much more realistic external terrain

My sincere thanks to you for creating such a great program
[Jul 1, 2014, 7:31:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved