Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7245 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
natsumerio

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Questions about the jar executable version.

My OS = Windows 7 home premium 64-bit.

I'm new to using "Sweet home 3d 3.7". I always prefer to use a 64-bit version of a program when one is available (because of the RAM limits of 32-bit programs), but so far, the only 64-bit version of "Sweet home 3d 3.7" that I can find is the Jar executable version. Actually, I'm not sure if that version qualifies as a 64-bit version or not, since you have to run "java -Xmx4096m -jar path\to\SweetHome3D-3.7.jar" just to get it to accept 4 GB (my PC has 24 GB), & there's no indication from the Jar executable version of "Sweet home 3D 3.7" that running that command was successful or not.

Aside from my nagging concerns about whether the Jar executable version is (after running that command) 64-bit in nature, I have another problem with the Jar executable version. You can't use any plug-ins with it, not even "Sweet home 3D's" own plug-ins. I'm as big a fan of using plug-ins for programs as I am of using 64-bit versions of programs.

Any help with both of these problems will be appreciated.

Can or has anybody compiled a 64-bit version of "Sweet home 3D 3.7" for Windows 7? That would definitely appeal to any windows users who want a 64-bit version of this program, & it could be made able to use plug-ins too. If anybody can or has done this & you know where it is online, please post a link to it. Thinks for any help.
[Jan 13, 2013, 10:11:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
natsumerio

Re: Questions about the jar executable version.

I forgot to add this, but any 64-bit version (if there is one besides the Jar executable version) does not have to be a portable version of the program. I a fan of portable versions of programs, but in the absence of a portable version (especially one that is definitely 64-bit & can use plugins), I can settle for a non-portable version.
[Jan 13, 2013, 7:44:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Under Windows, the Jar executable will run in 64 bit mode when launched with a 64 bit JRE. If you want to be absolutely sure about the chosen JRE, add its full path in front of the java command, or ensure you have no other JRE installed in your system.

You can use plug-ins also with the Jar executable version too, but you can't double-click on SH3P files to easily install them under Windows and Mac OS X with that version. I should improve this in a coming version with new options in preferences. Meanwhile you can install plugins manually by copying SH3P files at the right place (see the section Adding plugins in the user's guide).

any 64-bit version does not have to be a portable version of the program
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean that I was wrong to propose both 32 bit and 64 bit executables in the portable version?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 14, 2013, 8:02:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
natsumerio

You said that in the portable version that you can install plugins manually by copying SH3P files at the right place. Where is the right place that you say to manually copy them to?

any 64-bit version does not have to be a portable version of the program
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean that I was wrong to propose both 32 bit and 64 bit executables in the portable version?

When I said that any 64-bit version of SH3D does not have to also be a portable program, I meant only any 64-bit version of SH3D that existed, if any 64-bit versions of it do exist besides the portable version, but not counting the portable version because of it being harder to use plugins with it.

As for you including both 32-bit & 64-bit executables in the portable version, maybe it would help to make 2 portable versions: one that is multi-platform but only 32-bit, & one that is multi-platform but only 64-bit. If you do it that way, then maybe you could program the portable 64-bit version to try to automatically detect if you have a 64-bit version of java (& tell you to install it if you don't, & let you set the path to where it is if you do have it but it's not installed in the default directory), & to try to automatically detect how much RAM your PC has.

OFF TOP.
For those of us who only have 64-bit java on our PC's, I hope that everybody knows that java recently found out that version 7.10 is vulnerable, & to uninstall it & install version 7-11 instead. I think that 32-bit java automatically gets notified of things like that, bit 64-bit java can't get updates, so people with only 64-bit java might not know about this security threat.
[Jan 19, 2013, 9:04:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

You said that in the portable version that you can install plugins manually by copying SH3P files at the right place. Where is the right place that you say to manually copy them to?
In the data/plugins subfolder of the folder where the portable version is available.
But don't get confused between the portable version and the JAR executable version. The JAR executable version doesn't comes with a JRE and uses the same plug-in folder as the installed version (see the section Adding plugins in the user's guide).

As for you including both 32-bit & 64-bit executables in the portable version, maybe it would help to make 2 portable versions: one that is multi-platform but only 32-bit, & one that is multi-platform but only 64-bit.
For me, "portable" means that you have in one folder all the executables required for all the systems (and not only for Windows). If you release one portable version per system and architecture, then it would be less portable...
By the way, I already release more than 10 files at each new version (installers for multiple systems, portable version, JAR executable version, Java Web Start version, applet version, source code). I hope you'll agree that it's already quite a lot!

For those of us who only have 64-bit java on our PC's, I hope that everybody knows that java recently found out that version 7.10 is vulnerable, & to uninstall it & install version 7-11 instead.
This issue concerns only users of the JAR executable, Java Web Start and applet versions. Installers and portable versions are bundled with their own JRE.
I think that 32-bit java automatically gets notified of things like that, bit 64-bit java can't get updates, so people with only 64-bit java might not know about this security threat.
Why 64-bit JREs wouldn't be able to automatically get updates?
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 19, 2013, 3:28:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

After downloading the old executable versions SweetHome3D-3.0.jar and SweetHome3D-2.0.jar, the program does not open.
In a terminal I get this message:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\extensionXXX.dll: Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform

With the executable version SweetHome3D-3.1.jar, the program opens and works normally.

How to run older 32-bit executable jar versions on a 64-bit system?

Windows 10 64-bit
jre1.8.0_291
jdk1.8.0_201
EnkoNyito
[Jun 7, 2021, 2:52:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved