Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 14
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22868 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Fargo1

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Area calculation and auto dimensions for 2D

I would like to use SweetHome2D for drawing house sketches for my Real Estate work. I prefer only 2D, but I need the ability to calculate the sq ft area of the property. It would also be nice if there was a way to set the dimensions to automatically measure the outside walls. Then I could just draw each level of the house and have all my calculations measured for me. Then I could export a copy to the clipboard or pdf that would show the 2d floorplan and all area calculations.

For an example look at PhoenixMobile.com If you download a copy and play with it, you will see how the dimension are automatically shown and area is automatically calculated when the floor is closed. Then I can simply add room labels and export file. If you download a copy and export to pdf you will see how it prints a calculation page as well as how it shows the area sq ft. I need something like this software. I am trying to move my business over to Linux. Thank you.
[Jan 19, 2013, 6:37:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Area calculation and auto dimensions for 2D

What can you do with SH3D?

1 - Print to a page or to a PDF file that includes:
--> a 2D plan, which can include the name and surface area (in sq.ft. or sq.m.) of each room
--> a 3D view, which shows the house from a bird's eye view, or through the "eyes" of a virtual visitor
--> a furniture list, that sums up every item of furniture that you have added to the design.
1a - Through File --> Page setup you can select which of these three items should be included in your report.
1b - Note that room dimensions are calculated from the inside measurements of the room. If doors are inserted before the room is drawn, half the surface under the door will be added to the room surface.

2 - There is a plug-in available that adds the function Tools --> Compute walls' area.
This function will calculate the area of the selected walls. Note that the wall surface will be calculated based on the center line dimensions of the wall. This means that the resulting number will be too great for inside walls, too small for outside walls. Sloping walls are correctly calculated, albeit also along the center line.

What can you NOT do with SH3D?
SH3D will not automagically make a list of all rooms and surfaces and include that in your report. You can easily use (e.g.) LibreOffice for that, which can generate a PDF file from both its text processor and spreadsheet program.
Please, bear in mind that SH3D was designed first and for all as an interior decorating program. Although I am not the developer of this program, I do not think that, currently, there are plans to implement a function like the one you described.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jan 20, 2013, 5:42:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I need the ability to calculate the sq ft area of the property
Even if it's not really a feature, you can create a room that will measure the total area of a home (including the area or the walls on the ground) by double clicking on an exterior wall with the Room creation tool.

It would also be nice if there was a way to set the dimensions to automatically measure the outside walls.
Such a feature doesn't exist, but in case you didn't know, the Dimension creation tool lets you create dimensions tool by simply double clicking along the walls you want to measure.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 20, 2013, 6:25:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Fargo1

Thanks guys. I tried the method Puybaret recommended and this gets me close. If I could move the dimensions to the outside of the wall, place the calculated living area outside of the room and include a breakdown of the calculations this would work perfect.
[Jan 21, 2013, 11:37:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The information you look for is included in Sweet Home 3D help:
- Editing dimensions
- Editing rooms
Please take the time to read it.
[Jan 22, 2013, 7:39:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
danielfranklinr

Venezuela

Hi Puybaret,

Sorry to revive this thread but it's about a similar subject.

I've been looking in the forum information about a plugin to automatically creates the dimensions lines to the walls (preferably the outside walls). I've read many times that it doesn't exist, but i don't know if it doesn't exist because it's complex or because it's not possible.

If it's possible i would like to give it a shot and create it for the community.
[Mar 12, 2013, 4:10:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

That sounds possible, but you'll have to make some choices about which dimensions to display and their offset. Have a look to getMeasuringDimensionLineAt method in PlanController class to help you start.
[Mar 12, 2013, 9:27:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Fargo1

Please post back if you get the plugin made
[Mar 12, 2013, 3:02:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
danielfranklinr

Venezuela

Sorry i took so long to post again. I don't have a lot of free time out of the office.

I created a first version of the plugin and posted it on sourceforge , but there are some things I have to modify. In short the Plugin does the following:

If you activate the button the first time it adds the dimension lines for every wall in the selected level.
If you activate the button for the second time it will delete all the dimension lines created in the first activation.

The points i'll be looking are the following:

1.- There has to be a way to calculate for each wall the correct offset. Some times the dimension line will be positioned inside the house.
2.- The function that Puybaret told is private so i had to extract it and encapsulate it in the plugin. The function needed the user preferences and the pixel length, but I couldn't manage to find a way to get them from the Plugin.
3.- I haven't found a way to separate the outer walls from the inner walls. Maybe creating an algorythm detecting the outermost points of the house could help detecting if a wall is inside those bounds or not, thus indicating the outer walls from the inner ones.

I hope you can try the plugin and give me some feedback, as soon as i get the bugs fixed I'll post again here.
[Mar 19, 2013, 3:30:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Daniel,

I gave your plug-in a quick test using two files.

Test dimensions is a file I made for testing your plug-in.
- Both levels get dimensions;
- Round walls get strange dimension(s), see bottom left;
- When using variable wall thickness the dimensions behave in a strange way. If I change all walls to the same thickness, the problem disappears.
- If you save a project with dimensions, after re-opening clicking the button doesn't erase the dimensions. They have to be erased manually.

Casa Paolo is a very simple house I designed a few days ago for a forum member. As you can see, your plug-in becomes confused:
- Level 0 dimensions aren't correct, even though all walls have the same thickness and the house is very simple;
- Level 1 dimensions don't appear at all.

Also, I noticed that all dimensions are taken from the centre line of walls. Normally, in the Netherlands, dimensions are taken along the inside and/or outside of walls, and wall thickness is dimensioned separately.

In larger designs, the number of dimensions can become quite large, thus making drawings hard to read. Not all dimensions are equally important, sometimes even irrelevant if for repeating wall segments.
Also, because individual wall sections are dimensioned, you won't have a dimension for the entire wall length.
Example: an outside wall is 10 metres long. On the inside are three rooms. You will see the room dimensions, but not the length of the entire wall.

A partial solution could be if:
a - you draw a large rectangle around your design, then select a number of walls. The dimensions of these walls are projected on the rectangle.
b - repeat if necessary.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hansmex at Mar 19, 2013, 5:37:56 AM]
[Mar 19, 2013, 5:22:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved