Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2999 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
onkman

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Problem with transparent texture

I'm trying to model my old Victorian house. It has lots of decorative windows and I couldn't find any objects even close to what it has. So, I figured I could just take a picture of the window and map it as a texture onto an existing furniture object. I chose the "mirror" object as that is just a square with one texture.

Then I said to myself "I wonder if Sweet Home supports transparent .png files for textures?" and of course, it does (sweet!). However, what's happening is that when I apply that texture to this object, the texture wrapping gets strange: the "front" of the window works fine but the "back" of the window rotates 90 degrees.

I said to myself, "Well, maybe it's something unusual about the 'mirror' object." So I tried a different flat object (the "InariFrame" object) and the results were similar: the back was flipped 180 degrees. As an aside, in using this object and playing around a bit, I was at one point able to map the texture to just one side of the object (with the other side being the actual .jpg image) which could be used to create a one-way mirror effect for your dream interrogation room design.

It does not seem to matter if the object is defined as a window or as furniture.

Then I got drastic and started hand-editing the mirror obj and mtl files and well, I guess I'm going have to re-download those at this point.

Any help with this weirdness will be appreciated.

[Apr 5, 2013, 4:14:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Problem with transparent texture

Strange issue that I didn't succeed to reproduce yet.
Maybe you should apply your texture on a thin Box of the Miscellaneous category.
You'll see that if you apply globally the texture on the box, or use the texture to replace the materials of its front or back faces (in version 4.0), you won't get exactly the same behavior.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Apr 6, 2013, 1:51:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
onkman

Re: Problem with transparent texture

The box object worked! Thanks. Applying textures is going to save me tons of time as I won't have to figure out how to model the windows myself.

[Apr 6, 2013, 3:20:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved